Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Mounted and burned in the rocker arm mounting points. No binding when I articulate the suspension by handName:  IMG_20210210_173813.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  418.9 KB

With all this hardware in the front I can't figure out how to mount this steering rack with out some crazy wonky angle. Suggestions?Name:  IMG_20210210_184249.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  505.3 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Build it right-hand drive! Haha.

That is a super tricky one.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Haha that would through me off.

This might work. But it's 730 bucks ouch!

https://www.flamingriver.com/vdog-va...ar-cast-option

Cobra is finally on her own feet! Name:  IMG_20210211_224225.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  437.4 KBName:  IMG_20210211_225542.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  466.2 KB

Had time to clean my garage last night, I never noticed just how low the cobra is sitting next to a factory height datsun.Name:  IMG_20210211_233239.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  397.0 KB

BadA$$, keep the updates coming.
      Great work.
      69 Torino GT Formal Roof
      420" W - TKO 600

If you hadn't done that cantilever shock setup, you could have done what they do in the 4x4 world with driver side differentials - put the rack high and in front of the steering arms. If you can sneak the steering shaft through the shock mounts, you may still be able to do this. The only other thing I can think would be to install rear steering where the steering arms on the spindle are behind the spindle instead of in front of it. If this can work the rack could be mounted over the pumpkin close to the driveshaft. Rear steering is supposed to have advantages over front steering, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

You've got yourself a challenge there, and no mistake. I had to read your whole thread just to figure out how you were going to get an engine in when the shocks were right where the engine mounts are. If you can make it work, and I hope you can, that's going to be a magazine ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      If you hadn't done that cantilever shock setup, you could have done what they do in the 4x4 world with driver side differentials - put the rack high and in front of the steering arms. If you can sneak the steering shaft through the shock mounts, you may still be able to do this. The only other thing I can think would be to install rear steering where the steering arms on the spindle are behind the spindle instead of in front of it. If this can work the rack could be mounted over the pumpkin close to the driveshaft. Rear steering is supposed to have advantages over front steering, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

You've got yourself a challenge there, and no mistake. I had to read your whole thread just to figure out how you were going to get an engine in when the shocks were right where the engine mounts are. If you can make it work, and I hope you can, that's going to be a magazine ride.
      Thank you for your input. I thought about the rear steer from the Omni, I couldn't fine a rear steer kit that has the quick ratio like I have now. I would also assume I'd have to swap knuckles to the opposite side. I'm going to look into high mounting it like you said. Might be kinda cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by torino420 View Post
      BadA$$, keep the updates coming.
      Great work.
      Thanks! I see you have a formal roof and it's looks amazing!

Thanks! I see you have a formal roof and it's looks amazing!
      Thanks!
      69 Torino GT Formal Roof
      420" W - TKO 600

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreakcobra View Post
      Thank you for your input. I thought about the rear steer from the Omni, I couldn't fine a rear steer kit that has the quick ratio like I have now. I would also assume I'd have to swap knuckles to the opposite side. I'm going to look into high mounting it like you said. Might be kinda cool!
      Yes, the knuckles would have to be reversed, and that might take replacing the knuckles. To flip the knuckles you'd have to go left to right, but I can see that causing caster issues. But, it may also be what has to be done to make it work. I'd not let the lack of a quick ratio steering unit stop you either. If it comes to it, you can install a steering quickener which will make any steering box into a quick ratio box. Speedway Motors offers a number of different ones in the hundred dollar range, they go on the steering shaft with a mount. When you turn the steering wheel one time, the quickener turns the steering box as though you turned the steering wheel twice. I may use one on my own project depending on how it drives with the rack that's going in.

I made thus front suspension to slide right out for when I need to sit in the engine bay to work on the motor, it takes 10 bolts, the 1 steering shaft bolt and the brake line bolts to remove it in about 15 minutes. Not bad! Name:  IMG_20210215_162716.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  322.6 KB

sweet 510, don't see too many 4 doors

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      sweet 510, don't see too many 4 doors
      Thank you, I received it in a trade. Came with 2 motors and transmissions. I already swapped in the L18 and 5 speed, just not getting power to the starter from the ignition switch. Both starter and ignition are new so Idk 🤷🏻

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreakcobra View Post
      Thank you, I received it in a trade. Came with 2 motors and transmissions. I already swapped in the L18 and 5 speed, just not getting power to the starter from the ignition switch. Both starter and ignition are new so Idk 🤷🏻
      I had one many moons ago and never finished it, also couldn't't start it lol, some Datsun gurus bought it off me, they showed up, spent about 5 minutes twisting things, tapping things and rubbing it in all the right places and ended up driving it onto their trailer.

I'm always keeping my eye out for another, or a Z

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I had one many moons ago and never finished it, also couldn't't start it lol, some Datsun gurus bought it off me, they showed up, spent about 5 minutes twisting things, tapping things and rubbing it in all the right places and ended up driving it onto their trailer.

I'm always keeping my eye out for another, or a Z
      I've been searching for a datsun guy to help me get this 510 running, so far everyone keeps telling me to check the ignition wires 🤷🏻

- - - Updated - - -

On another note. How will I close the hood? Name:  IMG_20210228_215520.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  459.6 KB

One more shot Name:  IMG_20210228_220350.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  386.4 KB

Very nice. Keep up the progress
      My finished daily
      1966 Fairlane
      306 with 4R70W
      QA1 Coilovers,vintage air,

Current project