Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Germany

"Dreamchaser" Finally got me a 72 Chevelle

Hey guys long time no see/hear

i am back here to report about my recent purchase and NEW PROJECT

i was always a fan of the 70-72 Chevelles but as a younger guy i was not able to afford one...
      With that said i ventured out in the GM A- Body worked and got a 68 BUICK GS (Skylark)
      that i had for years now and formed it into a really cool Street car
      short specs on that :
      Buick 350 with a Mark burton twin turbo Kit, controlled by Holley Sniper/hyperspark
      good tubular rear suspension, th400, Weld draglites (15x10/15x7) converted to DOG DISH wheels (cant se the weld style)
      its a great car i really like it
      Name:  68GS.png
Views: 403
Size:  733.7 KB

BUT the truth is i always wanted a chevelle and NOW I FOUND ONE, obviously in 2024 it is even more expensive than back then but i am also older and more established so i pulled the trigger.
      ITS A FULL ON PROJECT
      and i am good with that, because i can build it as i want it
      i have to fix body panels , Body & paint , good handling Suspension and a good drive train ( i have one)
      i plan on putting a fresh cammed NA LS2 in it with a Nissan CD009 6-speed ( i have this parts already) with Hydraulic clutch.
      i am very familiar with the LS platform and i am most likely use the Holley terminator platform for engine management.

goal is a RELIABLE NA street car that i could put on a road race course ( yes i know its a chevelle and big and heavy ) WITH AC ( getting older and this TX heat is no joke)
      a no headache car.

I have turbo LS cars and i love them but i want the simplicity of NA and if i can get around 450-500max whp with the Chevelle i believe this will be enough, otherwise you challenge the handling even more.
      Suspension wise i will look into : fully adjustable coilovers of course , tubular control arms and needed sway bars, i will probably piece it together for my needs.
      which leads me to the question is there a Panhard bar setup or watts links Bolt Ons for chevelles ( are those needed?)

I will beef up my existing 10 bolt with C Clip delete and Spool or a Posi (depends on what makes more sense)

I will go as far ass my Budget carries me , i will not spend thousands on not needed parts or brand names just to have it...

it will be a pricey adventure for my Budget , you guys might laugh about the budget part but im sure i can put it together how i want it with what i have ( btw that's hot rodding )

here she is
      Name:  20240120_111946.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  447.5 KBName:  20240120_111921.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  513.8 KB

wish me luck lol

Country Flag: United States
      Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Transmission choice ???

I have a AR5. AND A CD001 both will be capable to manage the Na power,
      Which one would be your choice.
      FABBOT offers straight bolt on adapters with hydraulic clutch for both.

Looks like a solid project should be fun, Good luck with the build.

well now is the Drivetrain conflict

i have a

-cammed LS2 (all new Bottom end)
      with ported 799 heads and nice sheet metal intake + a cd009 Trans ( 6 speed)
      i would Holley Term X or ACES Jackpot this NA LS
      *Very reliable and great power ,but to be honest in the meantime boring i think.

Or

-468 Gen 4 BIG BLOCK ALL NEW roller setup with a strong Howards cam , nice ALU top end , that i could pair with a
      Super T10 ( 4speed) or for convenience OR with a TH400 ( i have sitting around and that will hold the torque)
      i would EFI this Big Block
      * a 5 or 6 speed manual that could hold the BBC torque is to much $$$ for me to justify the BBC then , so i would only go with what i have or the mentioned T10( since they are stout behind BBCs)

i know 2 very different approaches, i love both, the LS is the reliability KING, the Big Block is just THE engine in a CHEVELLE.

with all the parts that i have in the shop
      the BBC is the more pricey approach.
      I still need a Super T10 ( 700-1000) and the EFI Sniper with Hyper spark Dizzy for full control (2.5K)

for the LS i only need the Engine management and the CD009 adapter/clutch setup ( around 3K)

decissions , decissions

Name:  20240226_190735.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  300.4 KBName:  20240226_190721.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  297.1 KB

I just had a friend with this same decision on a 70 Chevelle. He decided to go LT4!
      its hard to go wrong with an LS\LT power plant but I know there is much love for the Big Block.

While not as exotic as EFI, my suggestion would be to run the 468 BBC, save the EFI for down the road, buy a nice carb and spend the coin on a T56 Magnum. While strong, I've heard that the CD009 gear ratios leave a lot to be desired.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

I Had my success with LS and i love them the lil LS2 i have will have plenty of power
      However a Big Block is a Big Block...
      and i see the trend of Big blocks coming back, a lot of guys who went LS going back to EFI Big blocks and i have to admit i was SURE i use the LS2 , and now i am on the BBC train again ahahah..

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com