Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

96 C1500 street/track build.

Well a couple months ago i finally found a somewhat decent OBS and pulled the trigger on it. I've wanted one for prolly close to 10 years now and just couldn't find what i wanted or one clean enough thanks to being in the Midwest. Well I over paid prolly and its not as clean as I would of like but I embraced the challenge of redoing it all. There is one major area that I was most concerned about on the roof and while I've got it pretty close I don't think ill ever get it perfect. I'm ok with this as its not meant to be a show truck i just want it to look clean and straight as i can. My whole plan with this truck is i want to do everything myself. I don't plan on paying anyone to work on this if i don't absolutely have too. My biggest challenge besides the fact that I've done any kind of work like this before is I only have a one car garage. So basically all my work is done in the driveway. I feel this just makes me appreciate the work even more. Like i said i know most of the wont be perfect but i did myself and i think that means more.

The future plans for this truck include the obvious LS swap which will include a turbo setup. I'm also going to put a T-56 in as well. (never been a fan of auto's) The truck will get an entire re-paint still not sure what color i want to go with yet. It will get a cage at some point also. I'm gonna swap the rear suspension to the ride tech 4 link as well as swap in a for 9". Id like to switch to a coil over front but I really cant find much luck with that for these trucks. I've read that the spring buckets are not strong enough to hold them. My initial though is to strengthen them and it should be simple enough. I don't know a whole lot about it though so any help would be great.

So for what I've done so far is I replaced all the rust on the cab corners and the rocker panels. The passenger side wasn't horrible just the outer rocker and cab corner. The Driver side was pretty rough though. I had to replace the inner and outer rock the cab corner and part of the floor pan. Big thanks to LMC for making these panels available. The interior was ugly blue ( not sure why car company ever thought of the colors they did for interior) so im changing that out for grey. Luckily my local U pull apart just got a mint 96 in with power everything so now i can convert mine to power windows. So i took the doors the entire interior and the dash out of it and got it all for $160 thanks to a special they run on all you can carry deals. I ordered a smooth roll pan for the rear so that should be here Monday and hopefully get that installed soon.

Ill update this thread as something new changes. Ive also never made a thread before on a build so bare with me if its a little rough lol. I hope you all enjoy this project as much as I and I'm sure its going to go way over budget and way out of hand.

Name:  59093906_1607022149441345_8614206955428249600_n.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  59596267_1607022429441317_8557535849800007680_n.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  143.7 KB

Here is the truck as I bought. already has the C notch on it and lowered. The previous owner bought it this way so im not sure on what the actual drop is but i think its a 4/6. She looks pretty good from a distance though lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3 (3).jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	165772

Name:	image4 (1).jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	165773

Name:	image5 (1).jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	165774

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	165775

Here the roof repair that I had to do. It's the first time ive ever touched bondo a stud gun or anything so its pretty rough. It will get fixed better though before paint.

Name:	image5.jpg 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	165779

Name:	image2 (2).jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	371.5 KB 
ID:	165778

Name:	image1 (7).jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	165777

Name:	image3 (2).jpg 
Views:	759 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	165776

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	165780

Driver side floor repair. As you can tell it was pretty rough. I knew this when i bought but I also knew that the patch panels were available.

Name:	image2 (1).jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	402.5 KB 
ID:	165782

Name:	image3 (1).jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	165781

Name:	image1 (6).jpg 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	165783

Here is the passenger side, it went a lot easier as the damage wasn't as bad. I still need to grind down the welds and smooth everything out but its currently hotter then the sun around here so hopefully in the next week.
      ( sorry for the awkward placed pics apparently my computer doesn't like them coming from my phone. I tried to fix them with no luck but ill try to upload my next ones better.

interesting project what are you planning for the chassis?

Going to stay with the stock chassis and a triangulated 4 link on the rear. Idk with the front yet. May box the frame in also

Country Flag: United States
      Check out Elevated Concepts if you haven't already. They have some nice stuff for these trucks. Nice work.

https://elevatedconceptsinc.com

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68byrd View Post
      Check out Elevated Concepts if you haven't already. They have some nice stuff for these trucks. Nice work.

Man, I wish I knew about these guys a few months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by 68byrd View Post

Big thanks for that. I’m gonna have to look into the front end kit

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com