Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Offset 3 Link and ABS

Hello Everyone,

I do not post a lot but I like to read and read. I am about to start working on my Ventura again and would like to finalize the suspension.

My plan was to use Billy Shope's 3 link calculator for an offset 3 link. I know there is a wheel hop problem so I was curious if ABS in the rear would eliminate this problem?

I plan to drive the car on the street 99% of the time. I might take it to the drag or autocross track once in a while.

I have 98-02 disk brakes.
      6.0 turbo ls and a 4l80e.
      Guldstrand mod, uppper control arms and tall ball joints.
      Solid body bushings
      Frame connectors
      Stock sub frame

Thank you,
      Bill

Country Flag: United States
      Bill,

I don't see how ABS would solve an inherent wheel hop tendency, but I do not have first hand experience here. Why are you set on a suspension set-up that has wheelhop in a hard braking situation?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I think it COULD help. I have only wheel hopped my TA car when I locked the rear, but I don't think that is always the case at least on TA cars. On a side note anyone know if Mr. Billy is still around?

My AS is set very close to 100%. At Blackhawk farms, coming down into turn 1, I got real bad wheel hop when I got hard on the brakes at marker 3. so bad in fact that for the rest of the event I started easing into them at marker 5.

two things I think are contributing here. For road courses I think my AS should be 70 or less(I can drop in 30% increments). Also , after a brake force analysis, my setup with D52 fronts and GM metric rears, I found the bias is 68/37. coupled with a setup that likes to transfer weight to the front under hard braking, it's clear the rears have too much bias(or too much weight transfer). Along with dropping my AS, I've installed an adjustable prop valve to dial back force on the rear calipers.

My understanding is a lot of manufacturers no longer use prop/combo valves, but they let the ABS bias the correct pressure to each wheel. so sure, you could use ABS to prevent wheel hop, but interfacing with the unit and feeding it the right signals will be a significant challenge. If thats what your into then take a crack at it and ask questions along the way, there's a lot of good peeps on this site that love to help out.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Bill- Getting the ABS dialed in and working properly to potentially help with the wheel hop will be far more difficult and expensive than just reducing your anti squat %... If youre only going to autocross once in a while, you may never even get to the point of wheel hop under braking. Maybe at the drag strip if youre putting down some serious trap speeds with a short shutdown, but if youve got that kind of MPH I think a 4 link might be more up your alley...
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com