Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need some advice on a portable ac unit.

Was looking for some advice from some of you that have messed with portable ac units. It's for a two car garage. I'm not wanting to break the bank but would like to have something that's that's going to cool it down to at least 66 degrees. Any suggestions as far as brand and size? Thanks. Forgot to mention my garage door is insulated, and I'm in Texas which means 100 plus degree days.

Have you looked into any of the Mini Split systems? It's not all that portable but I don't think a portable unit will do what you need.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

I second what Larry said. Those split systems are great for adding A/C to just a single room or area like your garage. Basically it's similar to those units you see in hotel rooms, but the condenser and evaporator are separated, around here you can pick them up at Lowes for around $900. They come pre-charged and ready to go.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

to meet the conditions you have listed, i believe you will be surprised at the amount of BTU you will need. Grainger has a good selection once you determine your BTU cooling needed

Ok Was also wondering about this. I've got a spare bedroom and the vent is closed off and never gets used. Could I just run that duct to the garage and shut it off when I'm not using it. I think I asked somone about this before and said wouldn't work for some reason, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyshawn View Post
      Ok Was also wondering about this. I've got a spare bedroom and the vent is closed off and never gets used. Could I just run that duct to the garage and shut it off when I'm not using it. I think I asked someone about this before and said wouldn't work for some reason, but who knows.
      You will pressurize the garage and blow the stink/fumes back into the house seeking the return. I wish it were that easy. LOL!

Plus I think there won't be enough BTU's to cool it down.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Air Conditioning works by removing latent heat from the air. Without a return from the garage, the air is never pulled through the evap, and the heat isn’t removed. As suggested, put a mini split in.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Bad thing I've seen about the little split units is they cost almost as much as a whole house ac. Those little Mitsubishi units are pretty quiet. EDIT: I see posted above some are cheaper now.
      Cost wise with enough performance , a 220volt window unit could be considered. May need to cut a hole through the wall, mount it kinda low , & try to disguise it's outside appearance with landscaping, fencing, or something creative. It breaks , you can run a number of places to get another unit any ole time.You're looking at $300 to $600, diy, plus electrical if needed, vs several thousands for quality split unit.
      Hotel room wall units may be a similar consideration, they generally have a box with outside louvers to slip into. But most I've messed with are 110 v

As said portable units aren't much good.
      Extra wall & particularly attic insulation will help a lot, particularly the spray on urethane foam stuff (approx. r-7 per inch, preferably fire retardant type.

These DIY split systems come with a precharged lineset etc.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ioner&_sacat=0

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I run a big 220v window type unit mounted through the wall in my 30x40 in south Louisiana. It keeps mine around 72 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Bad thing I've seen about the little split units is they cost almost as much as a whole house ac. Those little Mitsubishi units are pretty quiet. EDIT: I see posted above some are cheaper now.
      Cost wise with enough performance , a 220volt window unit could be considered. May need to cut a hole through the wall, mount it kinda low , & try to disguise it's outside appearance with landscaping, fencing, or something creative. It breaks , you can run a number of places to get another unit any ole time.You're looking at $300 to $600, diy, plus electrical if needed, vs several thousands for quality split unit.
      Hotel room wall units may be a similar consideration, they generally have a box with outside louvers to slip into. But most I've messed with are 110 v

As said portable units aren't much good.
      Extra wall & particularly attic insulation will help a lot, particularly the spray on urethane foam stuff (approx. r-7 per inch, preferably fire retardant type.
      Wouldn’t you want to mount an AC unit as high as possible? Cold air falls so it seems like you would get better distribution.

Mini split is the ticket for a garage.
      Pretty common on house boats around here too.
      I was going to put on in this last winter but did a mini tub instead. Priorities.

$2000 or so for heat and air ain’t bad for a garage. Costco sells cheaper ones. I’ll probably do a Samsung for my 3 car.
      I can do all install myself.

Mini split is the ticket for a garage.
      Pretty common on house boats around here too.
      I was going to put on in this last winter but did a mini tub instead. Priorities.

$2000 or so for heat and air ain’t bad for a garage. Costco sells cheaper ones. I’ll probably do a Samsung for my 3 car.
      I can do all install myself.

16,000 btu thru back wall , 27x15 garage. Well insulated. When I first turned it on after a half hour and it didn't seem that good, went in the house for an hour, came back out. You could hang meat, had to turn warmer. It works fantastic. Not that hard to install in the wall, luckily I have breaker panel in the garage and access through attic to run the 220v. Cost I think $500.00.

https://iwae.com/promo/mrcool-diy/?g...hoCEBUQAvD_BwE

Supposedly you can install your self and various sizes. Was thinking of using one in my second floor garage apartment when I build my building.

And I got couple of nearly new ceiling fans from my brother which would help circulate air.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com