Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

First calssic muscle car

Hi everyone!
      Ten years ago I fell in love with muscle cars. Now I have a budget for the dream (around $30k and I expect to buy turn key car). But I live in Russia and it's almost impossible to find classic muscle cars here, so I'm going to choose a car by internet(eBay). I'm choosing from the list below:
      69 Camaro rs/ss
      70,71 Challenger
      68-70 Charger
      69 Mustang Sportsroof
      70-73 Firebird Trans Am
      70-74 Plymouth Barracuda
      68,69 Pontiac GTO

I don't need nubers mathing car, I'm ok with a tribute car. I'm going to use a car as a dayly driver. Of course I've got another DD car so it wouldn't be the only car ))
      As I understood Camaro and Mustang have very good aftermarket support, but 30K for Mustang isn't enough. What would you recommend look for? What model will be more appropriate for daily usage? Any input will be very helpful.

I think a ChevyII or later Nova will about your price range with good aftermarket support.

Country Flag: United States
      Privet! I will sell you my Cougar for half that, and I bet there isn't one in Russia like it! You can check out my build thread. Link in signature. My family moved from Georgia to the US in 1980...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

15 years ago I would have said stick to Mustangs or Camaros because of aftermarket support issues. Today the catalogs have parts for just about everything on your list. The Mustangs & Camaros are still the most supported but I don't think any of those cars are too much of a problem anymore.

In North America it's not a terrible expense to just keep these cars mechanically running. The drivetrains were used for decades with moderate changes. Even after the factories quit using the muscle-era drivetrains in cars, they continued using them in trucks for another decade or more.

The expensive part is getting the bodies and interiors nicely restored (and keeping them that way). A lot of the issues are challenges with old cars in general (not just American muscle cars) like rust problems, the build quality being worse than modern cars, they lack features that we are used to cars having, etc.

If you haven't seen and driven any old muscle cars in person then I would STRONGLY encourage you to do so before making a buying decision. Make friends with some local people who have them, pay them some cash to let you drive it, whatever. I don't think you will stop wanting one of these cars after driving a few of them, but it might alter your choices and priorities. A little money & time & effort spent on this ahead of time might be well worth it.

The 68-70 Chargers are pretty high priced.
      70-74 Plymouth Cudas are pretty bad too.

Mustangs get cheaper when you avoid the most desirable ones like 1967/68 Fastbacks. A notchback or 64-66 model won't burn your wallet as badly. All the 1960s Mustangs are also VERY well aftermarket supported. Almost every nut and bolt on those cars is in a catalog. And the parts prices seem to be cheaper than average for classic cars.

Novas are affordable because they use many of the same parts as Camaros/Firebirds but the bodystyle is less prized.

The production numbers are a major factor in the prices on these cars/parts now. For example there were more Camaros or Mustangs made in some single years than all the Plymouth Cudas made from 1970-74. Fewer cars produced 50 years ago means fewer of them surviving today. Fewer surviving means less demand for a reproduction part. All that means higher prices for what is available. Etc.

Generally speaking, GM was the biggest seller in those days, then Ford, and then Dodge/Plymouth.

Thanks a lot for your replies. As a result a bought this https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1970...ski-slant-six/ for 12k. It was a really hard to make this deal. But also I bought a ... body shop. Hope i'll get cool pro touring soon )))) See you in another thread, hope so

Country Flag: United States
      Congrats man, that looks like an awesome project! A 70-74 E-body ('cuda) is on my list next.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com