Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I took the bait but I’m not going to take it again.

Don
      It's all good Don! See my post #10.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      but not everybody has a LS Porsche with Suspension upgrades!

Lmao true , for the win
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      I'm still a newbe here. I always thought Pro-Touring cars were classics built up to be bad ass corner carvers with the higher-end aftermarket chassis, suspension, and brake parts. Pro-Street would be the classics set up as drag cars, and Restomods I guess a combination of them-restored and modded up to be better than original in every way, but not as extreme.

I like and agree with this take on it.

I've always thought of Pro-Touring as a true street car that could run multiple 20-30 minute sessions on a road course reliably while setting respectable lap times, usually using modern drivetrain and suspension technology to improve it's reliability, performance, and comfort. Doesn't have to be pretty, but underneath it's all business to make it track capable, reliable, and more comfortable.

A Hot Rod is a car that has most of it's focus on going fast in a straight line, either drag strip or top speed. Doesn't have to be pretty or comfortable or terribly reliable, its just built to go fast.

Pro-Street is a drag car that's still a street car but it's emphasis is 1/4 mile performance. Built to look good, so it's more than just a Hot Rod.

Resto-Mod is a nicely restored cruiser that's better than stock all around but wouldn't last through a session on a road course. The cooling system, brakes, tires, power steering, etc are upgraded from stock but probably aren't up to the task of going all-out for extended periods.

Glam-Touring- Exaggerated Pro-Touring styling, top-notch workmanship throughout, has all the go-fast parts so it looks fast, but we all know it'll never see any actual track time.

IMO, 80's imports and anything American that's newer than early 90's are already too modern to fit into the Pro-Touring category. My daily driver is an '89 Ford Festiva with coilovers and sticky tires, and it regularly places in the top ten at autocrosses in daily driver setup with the original engine. It has AC and is comfortable to drive daily; I've driven it from SC to AZ twice for track events. It sorta fits the definition of pro-touring since it's old enough to be considered a classic, is comfortable enough, easily lasts through 300+ track miles over a weekend while putting down good lap times... but I can't bring myself to call it Pro-Touring since it's modern enough to have good brakes, good suspension geometry, and some modern comfort features from the factory. All I did was add coilovers, wheels, and tires. So I would say that for imports, you'd have to go back farther to maybe the late 70's and earlier before those could be considered Pro-Touring material.

Can I suggest another category? How about "Pro-Fun"?

My 68 C10 is kind of Pro- Fun. Built LS1, T56 magnum, C5 brakes all around. Big dual pass radiator. Big front sway bar. Lowered 4" in the front, 6" in the back. Tubular a-arms up front. 20" wheels and tires all around. Nice VW GTI bucket seats. Auto Meter gauges. Goes down the road super straight.

I doubt it would over heat on a road course if I was driving it because I'm not a road race guy.

Heater, wipers and defrost work for not so nice weather. We were at Oreilly's car show in St.Paul two weeks ago and Friday was 90 degrees. Early morning into the fair grounds was fine. 5 PM going to my sisters house was 20 miles of stop and go city traffic. Truck ran like a champ. Big dual pass radiator and spal fan came on about 5 times. A bit warm in the cab since no AC.

Saturday was non stop rain from 8AM. We left at noon in basically a monsoon rain for about 70 miles. A bit scary but again since all the Pro-Fun wipers and defrost worked well it was great.

Pro-Fun turns to Pro-Bummer when the weather isn't good with rain or heat and the car can't cope.

Oh and build the Pro-Fun car or truck so almost anyone can drive it without any special instructions.

Just my .02

If ProFun is a thing, my Cougar has it down :-)

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Throwing some 17s on an otherwise stock muscle certainly upgrades it aesthetically, but doesn't make it a whole lot better in any other aspect.
      I disagree. Moving to the larger diameter wheel introduces more/better tire choices that can transform the car. This is the biggest reason I changed to a larger wheel diameter.

I'm building my car based on pro tour/fun, and this place has given me a lot of ideas on what, and what not to do. I decided to keep my car base model- no tunes, no power accessories, basic exterior/interior, and no LS. I've never been one to label anything in particular other than a hot rod, so natural evolution see's new styles of hot rods come into and out of vogue. It will be interesting to see what the next latest hot style will be, but in the meantime I'm gonna have a blast driving the hell outta my pro tour/fun/resto hot rod.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      I'm still a newby here. I always thought Pro-Touring cars were classics built up to be bad ass corner carvers with the higher-end aftermarket chassis, suspension, and brake parts. Pro-Street would be the classics set up as drag cars, and Restomods I guess a combination of them-restored and modded up to be better than original in every way, but not as extreme.
      I've always thought the same thing. My shop was building cars like that before the term Pro-Touring was even coined. Now, if you don't build your car for the track, you're considered a wannabe.

With almost 500 whp from an LS, 6 forward gears, greatly improved suspension, brakes and tires, is this import "Pro-Touring"?

Name:  volatile-volvo-greg-carnforths-immaculate-ls-powered-65-volvo-0001-1440x670.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  199.6 KB
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Quote Originally Posted by jimco84x View Post
      With almost 500 whp from an LS, 6 forward gears, greatly improved suspension, brakes and tires, is this import "Pro-Touring"?

Would you want to tour 900 miles in a day with it, in 100* temps?
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Name:  volatile-volvo-greg-carnforths-immaculate-ls-powered-65-volvo-0001-1440x670.jpg
      Absolutely!
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      Oh is that the definition now? If so then my Pro-Touring car is my Panamera then. That's the only car I have owned in awhile that I would want to drive 900 miles in a day in.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I'm not sure that I want to do 900 miles in a day, in my Suburban, with the stereo and the AC blasting....That's a lot of seat time in anything

I'll take 100 miles of twisty back roads with the windows down and the AC off....listening to the sidepipes or the turbo spooling every chance I get. --quality >quantity, but to each his own.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

I don't even want to drive the Wife's comfy Highlander for 900 miles in a day!

I did drive the 'Cuda today, "feels like" temperature hit 108°.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Absolutely!
      Absolutely Yes!

It seems to me "pro-touring" evolved over time. Back in the day, you had restomod or "pro-street". Pro-touring to me was building the car to look like it was "modern" while restomod was making it look like it was built in 1980. In my mind PT was about taking an old car, and creating a refined hot rod. Something that was more reliable, drove better, was quieter on the inside, had some amenities and just plain looked bad ass. Something you could drive to work, cruise on Sundays and hit the occasional Auto-X.

Then came the high end builds. People trying to turn old cars into showcar-racecars. (Thanks Rupp, Shipka, et al). All of us wanted to chase that dream. The reality is, when you build a car that nice a lot of people get scared to drive it. Once you take it to the track, you realize that it's still a 60's hot rod and these cars have quirks. You look over and that guy with a 6 year old vette is doing more for less and guys started buying newer cars for track days. Hell even Rupp sold Penny and TrackRat and just suggested he'd sell the wagon to buy a newer Camaro.

For me, I still love what Pro-Touring is, fuel injection, big brakes, upgraded suspension, modern tire and wheel sizes, sound insulation, a usable cell phone charger and a cup holder for my iced Americano. I'd love a track car, but the reality is it's not in my budget and my Camaro is a poor choice to build a track car from.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Oh yeah! I love it!!!!

It reminds me of this one

Name:  Ufu5iFBZ7CsTBtNcC-731AlXoNxU19PZI_Fz85TkCQs.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  108.1 KB
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Quote Originally Posted by eville View Post
      It seems to me "pro-touring" evolved over time. Back in the day, you had restomod or "pro-street". Pro-touring to me was building the car to look like it was "modern" while restomod was making it look like it was built in 1980. In my mind PT was about taking an old car, and creating a refined hot rod. Something that was more reliable, drove better, was quieter on the inside, had some amenities and just plain looked bad ass. Something you could drive to work, cruise on Sundays and hit the occasional Auto-X.

Then came the high end builds. People trying to turn old cars into showcar-racecars. (Thanks Rupp, Shipka, et al). All of us wanted to chase that dream. The reality is, when you build a car that nice a lot of people get scared to drive it. Once you take it to the track, you realize that it's still a 60's hot rod and these cars have quirks. You look over and that guy with a 6 year old vette is doing more for less and guys started buying newer cars for track days. Hell even Rupp sold Penny and TrackRat and just suggested he'd sell the wagon to buy a newer Camaro.

For me, I still love what Pro-Touring is, fuel injection, big brakes, upgraded suspension, modern tire and wheel sizes, sound insulation, a usable cell phone charger and a cup holder for my iced Americano. I'd love a track car, but the reality is it's not in my budget and my Camaro is a poor choice to build a track car from.
      Well said.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Country Flag: Canada
      The other thing to keep in mind is the bar is rising at insane rates . A 2004 Z06 had 405 hp . A 2019 has 755 while carrying a warranty. So the "starting line " for a decent pro-touring car must also follow this same path . I bought a 07 LS7 that I want nothing to do with now and would much prefer a new lt motor.
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Oh, yeah.

Any additional information on the car, or build thread?
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com