Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Dietrichtj View Post
      Thanks for the reply. I really enjoy the site. Only 48 more posts before I can buy the rims.

Why don't you make a post in the ad and have the seller contact you?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: United States
      I've been thinking about this topic the past year or so, and didn't realize there was a thread already to discuss it. My take on the slowdown is multi-faceted:

--It costs a TON of money to get one of these projects off the ground and finish it. Most people, including myself, probably vastly underestimate the time and money required to do one of these projects. I was searching for like-minded 69 firebird folks yesterday (thread starters), and there were way more threads that seem to have projects which started but never finished. It's probably 10X for Camaros.
      --Kids just don't care about cars anymore like they used to. I started my project in my late 20's when I had a little extra money, which means, by comparison, a the next generation would have been teenagers when I was starting. When I was a kid, having a bit of car repair knowledge was paramount to keeping your car on the road. Now you can buy a KIA that'll go 100k without an oil change (probably), so car culture isn't really woven into our lives like it used to be. Most kids and young adults would rather spend their time on other things (sports, socializing, social media, etc.).
      --The folks who were into the pro-touring scene have gotten older.
      --It takes a ton of money just to buy a rust bucket nowadays. Who wants to spend $30k on a Camaro (or more for a mustang), or spend 5 years searching for the right project at the right price, just to have to pour another $50k (min) into it? Most folks don't have the patience or vision for that.
      --Stuff just seems to cost a lot more than it used to due to all the money printing by Biden and team. A simple brass fitting for my power steering costs $12 shipped on Amazon. Hell, it would probably cost 2X to build the same car that I built 10 years ago now due to inflation.
      --Soon, a 69 Camaro will be the '32 roadster of 30 years ago. The coolness of it will temper with the passing of time. Time will tell if they'll be replaced with more modern cars which one can turn into a pro-touring machine.
      --One thing we should have seen with all the money printing over the past decade or so, as a lot more money entered the market (and the markets hitting an all-time high in late 2021), was a re-vitalization of the pro-touring scene, which didn't really happen. Not a good sign.
      --Gas a f'n expensive - prepare for the transition to electrics, which will be death by a thousand cuts as "gassers" will become draconian. How much longer can gas cars keep up when eventually paying for gas will seem silly?
      --The cost of housing is through the roof now. Most people can't afford a decent house, let alone a project car (as well as 1 or 2 reliable cars, insurance, etc.). You have to over-spend on a house to get some decent space to work on a project car.
      --Time: this hasn't really changed, but as I get older (now with 2 kids), I don't have time for hardly anything. Once they enter sports mode, which is the true time waster/killer, it'll be another nail in the coffin for me.

There's probably a few others than I'm neglecting. Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but 'tis life I guess. In the mean time, I'll be burning tires and my ear drums inside a 50-yr old car on my commute to work.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com