Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Well let's be honest if it's not A a f body and B a first gen f body it seems you're not the cool kid on the block . I was looking for a 69 camaro before I found my 70 ss393 chevelle and truth be told ... I'm glad I have the chevelle instead. To me it seems and I've seen it first hand , way to many people now are like " oh look it's a 69 ls swapped camaro " and walk right past . Is it possible that the pro-touring market has been saturated with Camaro builds ?
      As the guy at Good Guys AutoX sarcastically said, "Look, another LS powered Camaro!"

In my opinion, Camaros have dominated the PT scene for a while, but now their prices have driven them out of most people's price ranges. No way I'm paying 10K+ for a shell of a Camaro when there are plenty of other cool cars out there waiting to be done. Even my wife who wanted a 69 Camaro forever has now admitted she doesn't want one because we see so many of them.

Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Nothing wrong with building a first gen Camaro imho. There is a strong market for them and parts are plentiful and affordable. Sure oddball cars are cool but it doesn’t make sense for regular guys to tie up big money in a car that no one will want to buy should the need arise....

I rarely see 69 Camaros let alone LS powered ones around here. Still my all time favorite car.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Nothing wrong with building a first gen Camaro imho. There is a strong market for them and parts are plentiful and affordable. Sure oddball cars are cool but it doesn’t make sense for regular guys to tie up big money in a car that no one will want to buy should the need arise....

I rarely see 69 Camaros let alone LS powered ones around here. Still my all time favorite car.

Don
      Don hit the nail on the head. Value. Even tho other cars besides first and second gen camaros are cool they just don't hold a high value in pro touring form.

I remember speedtech having to take a big loss on their 69 Nova that was well built. If that same car was a 1st gen Camaro I can guarantee the story would of been different.
      The only reason more people don't build a first gen camaro is because the prices are high in all build stages.
      I bought my 68 camaro 8 years ago for $3800 here in california and I thought that was insane. Now look at the prices.

I just picked up a 70 gen camaro for $1000 missing the front sheet metal and needing 2 quarter panels. I sold most of the parts the guy included, replaced the needed sheet metal and im into the car for nothing as of now. There's still deals out there if you look.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I don't pay much attention to the number of comments. For me what's important is how many view a build thread accumulates. Many people simply view and look for specific information. I use build threads not just for the benefit of others, bit also a log of what exactly I did. I can't tell you how many times I've refered back to my own thread for that reason.

Andrew
      Totally get what youre saying. Ive referred to my own thread a couple of times, mainly because I cant ever remember what tire sizes Im running. What Im saying is Engagement = more than just looking at a thread. I will say Im building/tinkering with the car for myself, but I am not going to gloss over the fact that I LOVE talking about what Ive done. That's kind of the point of the hobby. Its the reason I go to cruise ins. On and on. Etc etc.
      Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle

Howdy y'all...I thought maybe this would be a good place to inject a "newb" viewpoint, so let me jump in with both feet with my first post...;) I'm a newb here, but been playing with anything with an engine in it for my whole life. Back in the 90's and early 2k's, street cars were my passion, but got burned and "harassed" out, and shifted to another hobby. But, as you get older, sometimes the body forces you to re-prioritize things, so here I am, dipping my toe in the water to see if you can "go home again", lol.

Anyway, being "old school", my first go to is to search for an enthusiast forum, for all of the good reasons already posted about them: pictures, long term history of knowledge, search function, community, and organization. These forums really provide extremely valuable information to someone taking on a long term, significant project.

Having been an admin on the largest forum, in a niche hobby segment for many years, I have seen forum traffic rise, and then fall off. It still exists, but is a shell of it's former self. As long as you're not the one paying the bills, it's my opinion that the best thing an every day, ordinary member can do is just contribute. Help build that invaluable knowledge base, and a welcoming community so that when a newb shows up, it lights the fire for them, and makes them want to participate too. Don't scream "use the search button" when they ask the difference between an LS1 and an LS3, or if a big block can fit in a tri-five, because you've answered it a thousand times. A friendly bunch of users will attract more and more people. I haven't seen a lot of that in my readings here, but we all know it happens. The other thing you can do is share about the site to anyone that listens. Put your project on the site, and when you're talking to a stranger, tell them where to see more pictures, and pictures of other awesome cars. That will drive traffic to the site, and generate new users.

This is a great forum, and I really appreciate the time people have put in sharing their projects and knowledge over the years. I have read through many many project threads, as I have about 15 years worth of knowledge to catch up on. I've got a few things to sort out before I can start a project of my own, but I hope to someday in the near future start my own build thread. So, don't just go by post count, there are people "out there" who appreciate what this is, just waiting to hopefully help make it better. Thank you again to every one who's participated, and made this such a cool place, you all have built some amazing cars over the years...

Bottom line, as hard as it may seem, don't fret, contribute, share, enjoy what is here, and it will all work out. OK, I'll go back to reading, drooling, planning, dreaming, and searching for that perfect, rust free project car at a bargain price (yes, the fabled unicorn)...;)

Quote Originally Posted by gd-bh View Post
      Howdy y'all...I thought maybe this would be a good place to inject a "newb" viewpoint, so let me jump in with both feet with my first post...;) I'm a newb here, but been playing with anything with an engine in it for my whole life. Back in the 90's and early 2k's, street cars were my passion, but got burned and "harassed" out, and shifted to another hobby. But, as you get older, sometimes the body forces you to re-prioritize things, so here I am, dipping my toe in the water to see if you can "go home again", lol.

Anyway, being "old school", my first go to is to search for an enthusiast forum, for all of the good reasons already posted about them: pictures, long term history of knowledge, search function, community, and organization. These forums really provide extremely valuable information to someone taking on a long term, significant project.

Having been an admin on the largest forum, in a niche hobby segment for many years, I have seen forum traffic rise, and then fall off. It still exists, but is a shell of it's former self. As long as you're not the one paying the bills, it's my opinion that the best thing an every day, ordinary member can do is just contribute. Help build that invaluable knowledge base, and a welcoming community so that when a newb shows up, it lights the fire for them, and makes them want to participate too. Don't scream "use the search button" when they ask the difference between an LS1 and an LS3, or if a big block can fit in a tri-five, because you've answered it a thousand times. A friendly bunch of users will attract more and more people. I haven't seen a lot of that in my readings here, but we all know it happens. The other thing you can do is share about the site to anyone that listens. Put your project on the site, and when you're talking to a stranger, tell them where to see more pictures, and pictures of other awesome cars. That will drive traffic to the site, and generate new users.

This is a great forum, and I really appreciate the time people have put in sharing their projects and knowledge over the years. I have read through many many project threads, as I have about 15 years worth of knowledge to catch up on. I've got a few things to sort out before I can start a project of my own, but I hope to someday in the near future start my own build thread. So, don't just go by post count, there are people "out there" who appreciate what this is, just waiting to hopefully help make it better. Thank you again to every one who's participated, and made this such a cool place, you all have built some amazing cars over the years...

Bottom line, as hard as it may seem, don't fret, contribute, share, enjoy what is here, and it will all work out. OK, I'll go back to reading, drooling, planning, dreaming, and searching for that perfect, rust free project car at a bargain price (yes, the fabled unicorn)...;)
      This is one heck of a first post!!! Welcome and I totally agree.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I totally agree with Andrew. What a great first post.

Welcome to the site and thanks for joining us. I look forward to following your project.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I don't pay much attention to the number of comments. For me what's important is how many view a build thread accumulates. Many people simply view and look for specific information. I use build threads not just for the benefit of others, bit also a log of what exactly I did. I can't tell you how many times I've refered back to my own thread for that reason.

Andrew
      I'm pretty much the same - I look at a lot of builds, but don't comment much.

Welcome and some very valid points.

I'm on about a dozen different Forums, some are doing very well and some are dying on the vine. Some of them should die, but thrive, others are Great but can't gain any traction.

Hello all!

I've been a member here for about 14 years and I too have seen the ups and downs of activity on the forums. This is my go to site for the style of cars we build mainly because of the organization of topics and the knowledge base of the guys who have stuck around. Most other forums are a mess when it comes to the way categories are broken down. And I just can't handle the know-it-alls I run into elsewhere. I have never had facebook, instagram, or whatever else is out there. I don't comment on most of the build threads I look at but I really appreciate the time and effort it has required to do them. I have learned a lot and gained new ideas just looking through threads. I only answer questions if I actually know the answer or have an alternative that worked. I have bought and sold parts through the site. I have gotten advice from some of you and given some back.
      I am getting my 15 year old daughter into this site now that we bought her a Nova. I've been building my '69 Camaro off and on for 11 years now and still look for tech stuff here. Instead of showing her how to do it, I'm making her look at this site first. Then I'll answer her question. So I guess I'm using the site for training the youngster to be more self sufficient.
      There may be less people here but maybe the quality of said people has gone up.
      Matt H.

Country Flag: Canada
      Just to be clear I hope everyone is clear in understanding I wasnt trying to be insulting or rude that you've busted your arse to build a Camaro. Please try to see what my point was . Having said that I still think that "pro-lux will be a new thing . Imagine a (chevelle guy inserts a chevelle wagon shock ) a chevelle wagon with front and rear ac seats, also heated .. heated and cooled cupholders , wireless charging pads , soft dimming lights , wifi, etc etc etc . I can see this happening. I mean yrs ago you never had a 800 hp car with ac and power windows now it seems to be the norm . Another trend I see coming is more home printed parts. Some of these 3d machines are within reason to the average person
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

High end builders are already doing all that.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Like a Chevelle wagon/Escalade, I like it! I just don't want to fund it!

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Well let's be honest if it's not A a f body and B a first gen f body it seems you're not the cool kid on the block . I was looking for a 69 camaro before I found my 70 ss393 chevelle and truth be told ... I'm glad I have the chevelle instead. To me it seems and I've seen it first hand , way to many people now are like " oh look it's a 69 ls swapped camaro " and walk right past . Is it possible that the pro-touring market has been saturated with Camaro builds ?
      I agree, thats why I added the GN on here, and Im doing a 91 Z28 next(Ive been saying that for years, but I actually bought the car)..

I'm sorta guilty about FB and IG because it is soooo much easier to post a quick picture. However, I prefer the forums because of the threads/time line you can follow. The groups on FB have no direction and you can never find a past post so I just look at the pictures and don't get too involved in the discussions.

I'm making an effort to keep my build thread up to date.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

I don't do fb and I enjoy the build section of this forum. I don't have a build thread for my 69 mustang cause any progress is so slow I'd have to do a search to update it. I do watch mostly mustang threads but peruse several other builds like the chargers, ripper's firebird, the Lada build. I like seeing oddball projects and projects with interesting fabrication. I also check other sections on here frequently. Outside these forums, I frequent one mustang forum regularly and its slow but steady and has many regulars. I check in on other mustang sites occasionally and another forum site for guns & outdoor activities pretty regularly. The last one is very active and moves fast in the news and political sections and also more reliable than the tv networks. I appreciate this forum and the work Larry does to maintain it. I 'm sure there's many others who find the information available on this site just as valuable and helpful as I.
      Roger

69 Mustang coupe, under construction
      2011 Mustang - DD
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ang-SuperCoupe

Freedom Of Speed!

The traffic stats at bottom of forum shows a total of 25k people on at once, 3 days ago.

How often does that get reset?
      1993 Fox Body...its in the works
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...72#post1249772

1972 Nova...OUT OF THE BARN!!!!! Build coming soon!

IG:@kdmerritt5 for more

Quote Originally Posted by Merritt5 View Post
      The traffic stats at bottom of forum shows a total of 25k people on at once, 3 days ago.

How often does that get reset?
      Oh wow! That must have been when we were under attack from the Ukraine? I don't know if there is a way to rest that. We will look into it.

Thanks for letting me know.
      Larry Callahan

So, I'm old school. How do I post pics? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geometryjeff View Post
      So, I'm old school. How do I post pics? Thanks.
      No worries. Do you want to post pictures that you have on your computer or pictures that you have already uploaded to a photo hosting site?
      Larry Callahan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com