Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by kjimmy918 View Post
      Here's a few updates on what I'm designing currently.

I'm trying to figure out the positioning of the subframe relative to the engine. I anticipate the engine being about halfway across the plane of the firewall. You'll notice in the pictures that the oil pan is interfering with the chassis. I will cut and box some of the tubes at some point, but I don't know what engine placement I can get away with (I will have a dry sump pan to minimize engine height).

Otherwise, I've been running FEA simulations to minimize deflection in the subframe. In the screenshot below, the subframe deflected ~.017" with a 1500 pound load at each suspension pickup. That's WAY more that what the subframe will actually see. There some places that I have not modeled gussets in yet, so I expect that deflection value to decrease. I might play around with the subframe's envelope a little more. In the event that I don't predict engine placement correctly, it would be nice to have some wiggle room.

Also, I plan to make the subframe from 1" X 1" X .065" steel tube for anyone who is curious.

Attachment 165551

Attachment 165552

Attachment 165549
      Is this height accurate? Won’t you be on the frame if you blow a tire? I love what your doing here, keep the posts coming ( even if you think it’s too trivial) I know I will learn a lot and get some good ideas following along. Peter

Beautiful free body diagrams and analysis. Your Vector Stats professor is smirking with pride somewhere right now!
      Did you do SAE Formula or Baja?

Looks awesome, keep up the stellar work! I'm enjoying following along.
      Stephen S.
      1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L, T5

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      Is this height accurate? Won’t you be on the frame if you blow a tire? I love what your doing here, keep the posts coming ( even if you think it’s too trivial) I know I will learn a lot and get some good ideas following along. Peter
      Yeah the height is accurate. The sidewall of a 335/30/18 is about 4 inches so it could hit the chassis if I blow a tire. But, I'll probably have some Delrin frame sliders on the corners to protect it. Also, the tire will hopefully maintain some thickness with no air to keep the chassis off the ground. Thanks! I appreciate the support!

Quote Originally Posted by MSTSFabbed View Post
      Beautiful free body diagrams and analysis. Your Vector Stats professor is smirking with pride somewhere right now!
      Did you do SAE Formula or Baja?

Looks awesome, keep up the stellar work! I'm enjoying following along.
      This stuff definitely keeps my skills sharp! I did Baja for about a year and a half. There were a few components I helped design, but I mostly worked on welding and manufacturing. Thank you!

Any updates?

Hey All!

Sorry for not posting in a while. I've been getting quotes for waterjet and CNC plasma parts that'll I'll be needing pretty soon.

Otherwise, I sold the chassis and engine from the truck and am left with the pieces I needed in the first place. I cut the floor and firewall out of the cab so I can start on the roll cage. I hate spot welds with a passion now, and the very rear part of the floor needs to come out still. An easy way to think of how this truck will go together is similar to a stock car. The body is only acting as a shell and aerodynamic device. I'm not trying to gain any structural rigidity out of it. The floor will attach directly to the chassis, and will most likely be aluminum sheet. With my plan of pushing the engine so far back, the firewall had come out.

I ordered a tubing bender, and I'll be making a video of that fabrication process. I know I'll be learning a ton, so I think a lot of stuff will be getting posted soon.

I was talking to my dad about how weird it is becoming more skilled at this kind of stuff. A year ago, I'd probably be afraid to cut the floor and firewall out of car, knowing I had to figure out how to make new ones. I still haven't done much bodywork type stuff, but there hasn't really been a second thought in moving forward. Not sure if other people have felt like that, but gaining confidence feels pretty cool.

Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  171.2 KBName:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  332.5 KBName:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  125.4 KBName:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  148.1 KBName:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  194.4 KB
      Check my YouTube channel! Subscribe if like it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChx...8C7FWsJ9XT4l8Q

Also, follow my dedicated Instagram page!

https://www.instagram.com/king__engi...__performance/

I personally found that I leaned by just jumping in and doing. Don’t be afraid of learning, if you try and fail . Well, at least you learned something. Go for it.

I put the cab on the chassis for the first time today. I planned for about a half inch of clearance between the outer tubes of the chassis and the inside of the rockers, and it fits spot on. My tubing bender should be coming in Monday or Tuesday so I will start on the cage this week. I'm sure everyone can guess that the big, weird shaped cardboard box is a mock up engine. I should have a fair amount of room inside for the pedal box area.

Also, I updated my signature with links to my YouTube channel and a dedicated Instagram page for this build for those of you who want to follow along.

Name:  IMG_0503.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  113.4 KBName:  IMG_0502.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  111.6 KBName:  IMG_0504.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  140.9 KBName:  IMG_0505.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  116.9 KBName:  IMG_0506.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  95.0 KBName:  IMG_0507.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  124.1 KB

Awesome as always. I really like what you’re doing, very interesting

I’ve started to bend up the roll cage and get it installed. I’ll finish the interior portion of the roll cage first, pull the cab off to do bodywork, then place the cab back on to finish the cage (rear braces).

Cage bending has been quite the learning process. The main hoop took me 3 tries to get right. Talk about patience. I will be able to use the material for other stuff however. I bent the side hoops on the first try, and those also have an angled offset on top of two bends.

For anyone curious, I’m using a JD2 Model 3 to bend 1.75” X .095” Mild steel DOM tubing. I understand why people buy hydraulic benders now! This diameter tubing is a cow to bend, but I don’t mind the physical part. It’s makes it more fun for me.

I’m notching everything by hand. I have quite a bit of experience notching tubes for cages and I don’t find notchers all that useful. There always seems to be fine tuning of the notch regardless of it’s done by hand on a grinder or a notcher, so starting on the grinder is faster/makes more sense to me.

Name:  IMG_0568.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  98.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_0566.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  102.5 KBName:  IMG_0567.jpg
Size:  93.7 KBName:  IMG_0571.JPG
Views: 607
Size:  525.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_0572.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  551.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_0574.JPG
Size:  499.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_0575.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  120.5 KB

Nice work !
      I Like where this is going
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Love the vehicle choice and detailed analysis/planning going into this. Looking forward to more updates.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Any updates?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com