Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 BBC Radiator suggestions

Hi Everyone, Looking for recommendations on the best radiator to cool my 500hp -468 BB. I am also planning on adding vintage air in the future. I want to use an electric fan setup with temp sensors, etc.. Do i need to spend over a grand + on a new aluminum setup with dual spal fans, or are there other alternative that will do the same for less $$? Currently I am running a stock fan and BB rad., which is aok at speed, but idling and crawling in traffic, on 90+ days, things heat up to a point where I am not comfortable..Never had an overheating episode, but you can smell things getting warm.....
      Thanks,
      Joe

I spent for the C&R module and upgraded to the full shroud with the flaps, also to a 30lb billet cap, all at their recommendation. It can be 120f outside and stuck in traffic where I live and I also have Vintage Air. I did it for the piece of mind of never haivng to worry. I also divorced the trans cooling from the radiator and went to an external trans cooler and I also installed an oil cooler with thermostat. Having a radiator with no trans cooler on the side also looks better in the engine bay.

I'm still going to air hood air extractors, just fender air extractors are not enough. Lastly, I'll ceramic coat AND wrap my headers. Underhood temp is a bitch in the CA desert with big power and traffic. I also wanted to be cover for any motorsport events I may want to participate in and didn't want to upgrade twice. Just build it overkill the first time is my motto lol.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Same. Bought the CR cooling module with oil and power steering coolers for 1967 camaro with 500rwhp LS3 and tremec magnum. I live in South Texas and the fans rarely run except when stopped.

Check out Superior Radiators made in Michigan. I bought one with dual fans for my big block and they said it can cool up to 1000hp. I installed it but my car is not ready to run yet so cant tell you how it cooled. It cost me like 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich G View Post
      Check out Superior Radiators made in Michigan. I bought one with dual fans for my big block and they said it can cool up to 1000hp. I installed it but my car is not ready to run yet so cant tell you how it cooled. It cost me like 600.
      Rich... I'm curious, did you ever get the radiator/fans installed? I switched over to a serpentine belt system and when I went to Superior's web page, they seem to only offer a single 16" fan setup. I'm concerned about it hitting the water pump pulley but they don't list the dimensions of the fan, shroud, radiator. Can you give me some dimensions off your setup?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

UPDATE: I bought a Cold Case 2-Tube (1.250" tubes) BBC radiator and I think I'm going to try and fab up my own shroud. I'm laying it out in very stiff illustration board, eventually, probably 16 or 14 gauge aluminum. I also have been doing loads of reading on DIY setups, and discovered the Ford designed Volvo fan which is a kissing cousin of the taurus fan but its built as a bolt in fan without a molded in shroud. Thats supposed to arrive today.

Name:  BlankShroud-00.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  368.0 KB

The Volvo fan is a two-speed, same as the Taurus, supposedly capable of at least 3800+ CFM at full voltage/amperage and zero static pressure (free standing), and roughly 3300-3500 behind a radiator. What is even more interesting is that its very low profile (3.3" total) with some portion of the fan and motor hub being ahead of the mounting flange.

Name:  Volvo-2-speed-01Sz.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  153.8 KB

I'll update this when I get a chance to put all the pieces together in a mockup form. I like the flange mount because it means I can shift the fan to a position in-between the pulleys if need be. This fan has been used in higher performance Broncos, Rangers, Jeeps and even a Fiero. It may or may not do the job, but I'm pretty hopeful after watching videos of the fan at both speeds.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Unfortunately, I'm not working as fast on this project as I'd like... too many "Honey Do" projects including remodeling two bathrooms. Anyway, I have progressed a bit. I opted to model my shroud in 1/8" thick rigid illustration board. Switched over to a dual 12" fan setup from a Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique. The original molded-in shroud was too big so I decided to think outside the box and cut away the shroud. Still messing with the precise angle, but the fans will be mounted diagonally so as to clear my AC pulley. I'm gonna try to squeeze in more flaps, hopefully wind up with 10 or 12.

Name:  Test Fit-02.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  440.5 KB

Name:  Test Fit-01.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  478.9 KB

Name:  Test Fit-00.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  505.0 KB

Ugly, but you have to start somewhere. Fitting looks good so far, actually have 1/4" clearance at the AC pulley, swing the compressor away and the fans mounted to the shroud slide right up easily as an assembly. Making a new main board to see if a little tilt will allow another row so I'll have a dozen rubber flaps. Here's my goal.

Name:  Diagonal Contour-Sz000.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  218.5 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com