Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

VA Install - 1969 Camaro without Fender Removal?

I have a car with finished bodywork, but I have the motor and trans out for a LS swap. Is it possible to install the Vintage Air SureFit evaporator kit without removing the outer or inner fender? What is the least invasive installation method?

Country Flag: United States
      Yes it is. Will be easier with the engine removed.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I didn't have to remove my inner/outer fender. I got fancy and used an inline bulkhead. What a PITA it was to route the hoses under the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
      I didn't have to remove my inner/outer fender. I got fancy and used an inline bulkhead. What a PITA it was to route the hoses under the dash.
      Do you have more information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
      Do you have more information on this?
      I had to have custom bend tubes made (several attempts to get it right) from the inline bulkhead under dash to the hoses. Never again will I use an Inline bulkhead. It is extremely tight under the dash with the inline bulkhead. Use the stock VA set-up or another set-up besides the inline. Just my opinion.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Use EZ clip hose and the iimuch firewall bulkhead.

https://www.iimuch.com/products/ac-bulkhead

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Run the hoses sideways to the fender , and use a bulkhead if you like, then follow the fenderwell to the side of the cowl and enter there.
      Tracey

I'm covering the holes with the DSE panel, just haven't decided yet whether to simply use four grommets or something else. I have the EZ Clip Hose option. Waiting on the VA Alternator bracket since I decided to put the compressor on the PS in my '69. The compressor bracket is here, think I'm going to either paint or powder coat, although I have a friend with a CNC plasma cutting table who has offered to dupe the steel VA brackets in billet for me, and if I want, he can cut in a bowtie on each side. I'll probably go with chrome or billet pulleys if I do that.

Name:  FRONTVIEW-03.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  205.5 KB

The VA brackets look crazy wide in this shot, but I've seen a picture of them in a Camaro... doesn't look that bad. I just can't swing the money for a serpentine setup right now.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

If I rememeber VA has a cap that covers the blower motor hole and comes with 4 smaller holes and gromets iam not a fan of bulkhead conectors more fitting to leak from !

Quote Originally Posted by kush69 View Post
      If I rememeber VA has a cap that covers the blower motor hole and comes with 4 smaller holes and gromets iam not a fan of bulkhead conectors more fitting to leak from !
      Hey Kush... Thanks for reminding me, I have to go to the garage and check the boxes. That iimuch one is gorgeous but $150?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      I'm covering the holes with the DSE panel, just haven't decided yet whether to simply use four grommets or something else. I have the EZ Clip Hose option. Waiting on the VA Alternator bracket since I decided to put the compressor on the PS in my '69. The compressor bracket is here, think I'm going to either paint or powder coat, although I have a friend with a CNC plasma cutting table who has offered to dupe the steel VA brackets in billet for me, and if I want, he can cut in a bowtie on each side. I'll probably go with chrome or billet pulleys if I do that.

Name:  FRONTVIEW-03.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  205.5 KB

The VA brackets look crazy wide in this shot, but I've seen a picture of them in a Camaro... doesn't look that bad. I just can't swing the money for a serpentine setup right now.
      I hope those brackets aren’t as flimsy as they look....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Yes it is. Will be easier with the engine removed.

Don
      You'll need a ton of patience and be a bit of a contortionist to get the old blower motor and housing out without removing the fender and inner fender. The fact that you have the engine out will definitely help you.

Use EZ clip hose and the iimuch firewall bulkhead.

https://www.iimuch.com/products/ac-bulkhead

Don

This is the best way for sure. If you use a bulkhead you double the amount of fittings and also doubling the risk of any leaks. EZ clips make assembling the lines easy and you can make sure the fittings are clocked the way you need them. I guess you could still use the Vintage Air blower motor block off to route your lines through in order to save a few bucks.

Also, look at the bottom photo from DT69Cam. The heater line shut off valve is mounted and plumbed on the unit instead of in the engine compartment. That's much cleaner since it's hidden. Most guys will route their hoses out from the firewall and over the inner fender between the outer fender in order to keep the compartment clean. You wouldn't want that shut off valve mounted somewhere in there, impossible to get to once everything's assembled!

I hope those brackets aren’t as flimsy as they look....

Don
      Here's what it looks like installed (by another VA bracket user) Don. They don't look much different (from a sturdiness point of view) than those used by Chevy IIRC. I suppose that if I have my buddy make dupes, I can also look at making the wall thickness 5/16" or maybe 3/8" and cut down the spacers. Just have to make sure the belts wind up in the same spot. Will probably go with billet pulleys to ensure trueness.

Name:  VAAlternatorBracket-00.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  86.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      Here's what it looks like installed (by another VA bracket user) Don. They don't look much different (from a sturdiness point of view) than those used by Chevy IIRC. I suppose that if I have my buddy make dupes, I can also look at making the wall thickness 5/16" or maybe 3/8" and cut down the spacers. Just have to make sure the belts wind up in the same spot. Will probably go with billet pulleys to ensure trueness.

Name:  VAAlternatorBracket-00.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  86.7 KB
      They look better from that angle.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I was able to do it, but not the cleanest install:

Name:  ride_photo_1557334497c149b519da4.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  235.8 KB
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I've been on the fence on fender removal, decided that if I can get some help it'd be the better way to go. So I'm holding off until I can get a couple of extra hands to help me remove the hood and fender, and as Don pointed out, I ordered my kit with the EZ-Clip hoses so I might just bite the bullet and and go with the Ilmuch pass-thru.

Right now I've got other issues... trying to find a good eFan setup that will fit between a radiator and my serpentine setup. I just didn't like the looks of those huge VA brackets and belts, so I went serpentine which presents its own problems. I'll save that for another thread.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com