Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1st gear ratio choice TR-6060 for big power

Is the T56 magnum 1st gear (2.97:1) or OEM (2.26:1) going to be better for street driving with a 700HP supercharged engine swap (hellcat)?
      The most I've ever driven with a manual T56 is 300hp so I don't have a feeling for if the extra torque will make up for the high 2.26 ratio?

Country Flag: United States
      What is your rear gear ratio and tire size? Magnums come in 2 1st gear versions, 2.97 (wide ratio) and 2.66 (close ratio). I have a close ratio, 3.89 gears and a 25.5” tire. I like it a lot. There is no “magic” answer.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 71_dramaqueen View Post
      Is the T56 magnum 1st gear (2.97:1) or OEM (2.26:1) going to be better for street driving with a 700HP supercharged engine swap (hellcat)?
      The most I've ever driven with a manual T56 is 300hp so I don't have a feeling for if the extra torque will make up for the high 2.26 ratio?
      I'll second what Chris said. It really comes down to what your end goal is. Most guys we work with run the 2.66 close ratio gear set with around a 3.73 gear and 25-27" tall tire. That combo works pretty well for a street car. You'd be surprised how well that car will get up and go with a 2.66 1st gear. I always recommend building the drivetrain around what you will use the car for the most. Drag racing, road racing, street driving, autocross, etc. If you're doing all of the above you will have to make a compromise somewhere so focus on making the car fun for the majority of your driving time.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

I'm going to buck the trend a little. I have the 2.66 magnum (tuet11009) but chose the 3.43 rear gear since I wanted a better highway (.63OD 6th). I have a 658 rwhp LSA and can blow the tires at will in first gear.

I'll be surprised if you get any grip on the street in first and most of second regardless what you do to the car with that engine. I'd pay close attention to tire selection and if you can get away with traction control.

My close ratio box with flat-shift and traction control is pretty fun.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Primary goal a street car for spirited driving. Tire size between 27-28.5.

Rear gear ratio is whatever best fits the trans and tire combo best so open to comment. Easy to change a 9" gear, not so much 6 speed gearing. Actively planning for traction control. The 2.66 might be the good middle ground. The wide ratio 6th gear (0.5) sounds nice for my 80mph freeway but i'm concerned i'll just instantly blow the tires off with a 2.97 1st. A few guys like the stock 2.26 and 2.29 gear that comes in the hellcat or ZR1, hence my querying of other pro-touring drivers.

I know you're questioning the first gear ratio selection, but don't forget to choose the correct (for your application) 6th gear, i.e., 0.63 or 0.5. If you want the 0.63 then you'll want the close ratio with the 0.63 6th gear and similarly for the wide ratio. Like others have stated above, choose based on your tire diameter and differential gear. Use one of the several online calculators available to look at the engine rpm at various highway speeds in 5th and 6th to see how that will match your driving needs. I found that I'd rarely use the 6th gear if I had the 0.5 6th, even on the freeway unless I wanted a ticket and thus I chose the close ratio.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com