Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

T56 Magnum Bellhousing Alignment Help!!

I am attempting to dial in my Bellhousing and am having a tough time. I see lots of guys removing the front plate from the T56 and indexing off of the front bearing bore. My problem is this...it seems to me that you are going to get vastly different numbers off of checking parallel on the face of the Bellhousing(the part that the transmission mounts to) and even different numbers on the face of the QuickTime RM-130 index plate. As the diameter of the circle that you’re sweeping gets smaller, generally so do your numbers. That being said, I haven’t read anywhere in an official Tremec, or QuickTime document the Gold Standard location or diameter for taking the measurements. Meaning everyone is taking their measurements at a different circumference, unless they are doing it on the bearing bore of the Transmission front plate. Can anyone clue me in to anything different or some piece of information that will help me to be certain and feel good that my measuring technique is correct? I’ve been using the RM-130 indexing plate, but it has a 4” circumference hole to measure around, whereas I believe the bearing bore is only a circumference of 2.6” or something like that.

Thanks for the help

Have you watched the youtube video regarding using the RM-130 plate? I believe it is on the Holley youtube channel.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Have you watched the youtube video regarding using the RM-130 plate? I believe it is on the Holley youtube channel.

Andrew
      I did, they skim over the process in about 10 seconds. They also state to look for a measurement of .005” or less for parallel, whereas Jody and Craig@Bowler state that you should look for less than .002” difference throughout the circle.

As far as I remember, .005" for parallel has always been the max. No doubt less is better, it's a big jump from .005 to .002.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com