Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Shipping wheels cross-country

I love the wheels I've chosen for my car but I've had an offer from someone on the other side of the continent who'd like to get their car on the road asap rather than wait for Boze to make them.

And for over 18 months I've been considering re-hooping or reordering wider fronts from my Camaro. I figure now, since my car is not needing to be moved around for the next 5 months that I might take the deal. But I don't know the first thing about shipping 4 large wheels from NC to California, most likely with the tires still fitted.

Has anyone done this, and if so, who did you use and how did you pack and protect them?

Thanks in advance.

Over pack them.

99% of shipping damage comes from shippers not packing something properly.
      Tracey

Home Depot has everything you'll need: go to the moving/packing section. Get some shrink wrap, heavy duty boxes, packing tape, and 2 cans of spray foam insulation per wheel.

Wrap the wheel in shrink wrap and set the wheel in the box. Use the foam to keep the wheel from banging in the sides of the box.

Ship.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

If you are shipping with Tires, get HD Cardboard, cut round pieces slightly smaller than the tire diameter. You are going to wrap two wheels / tires at a time. Put one piece of cardboard on the ground, put one wheel/tire with the inside face down. Then put a couple of pieces of cardboard on then the other wheel/tire ( the wheel faces will be facing each other), then a piece of cardboard. Then use Shrinkwrap the whole thing. Repeat for the other two wheels. The Tires will do 95% of the protection from shippers

As far as shipping, I have used Greyhound and Fastenal

My .02 is that you could go down to your tire and wheel place and ask them for the wheel boxes from other customers wheels. Check to see if they can save the packing materials like the round card board discs and the plastic rim protectors. Also the light weight foam wrap. Might offer a 12 pack of something as an incentive.
      My wheels came that way from Summit with zero damage.
      But make sure you insure then for damage and take pictures as packed.

Remove the tires from the wheels.

Box the wheels in individual wheel boxes you acquire or boxes you make to fit each wheel. Tape/strap 2 wheel boxes together for shipping. 2 total packages to ship.

IF you wish to ship the tires "Band Strap" 2 tires together. No other packaging needed. Once again 2 total packages to ship. This is how the internet tire companies ship new tires to their customers.

Not necessarily the cheapest way to ship a set of wheels and tires HOWEVER this is the best way to ensure the wheels and tires arrive undamaged.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

So much great advice here people. I have had to pick and pull what information I could from your posts and apply it to what I can source locally. I have struggled to find the right size boxes but eventually had to get them from amazon and ordered 30" by 30" heavy duty corrugated boxes. this will allow me to post the wheels with the tires attached. and allows a lot of extra space for protection for the wheels inside. rough quotes put it at $88-$144 per wheel depending on weight/ width, with insurance.

That shipping cost per wheel is HIGH AS HELL.

UPS and Fedex will KILL ya!

Try Fastenal or Greyhound terminal to terminal.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I'd definitely use a freight service terminal to terminal. ABF, Reddway,Estes, old dominion etc....

Normal UPS or FedEx would be costly.

might want to look in to FASTENAL's shipping options.. I shipped a Muncie Trans from FL to Ohio and cost me $155

Get some wheel boxes. Ship via bikeflights.com. I sent Corvette-sized Forgelines across the country for a bit over a hundred bucks or so. If you pack them decently they'll be fine.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com