Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Retrofit of wheel speed sensor into spindles

Has anyone done or seen a good integration of wheel speed sensors and reluctor wheels into a classic front spindles and aftermarket brake setup? Use of a modern spindle and hub like the corvette style is not an option for me. I'm attempting to setup traction control. For aftermarket traction control and VSS i have seen use of rotor vanes and wheels studs with reported success but that would not be a good enough signal for some ECU systems or OE computers.

Country Flag: United States
      Wheel lugs work fine for aftermarket computers. What are you going to run for a computer? You can get a reluctor wheel cut and mount it on the back of the hub if needed or even machine teeth into the back of the hub. A basic sensor mount bracket of the spindle and read off the lugs would be the best option short of spending good money on modded spindles of modded hubs for reluctor wheels.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

I am planning on starting with a Megasquirt 3 or Motec and if i decide i want ABS in the future i would like to be able to change over to the stock Mopar Hellcat computer system. All my experience with wheel speed sensors is that they are super finicky if anything is even slightly off center or the distance of the sensor to the teeth is even a little bit off. I've never seen a wheel speed sensor retrofit so advice of those that have may save me some headaches.

One shop that I talked to that has done the OEM system swap resorted to making spindles to accept the OEM modern hubs to get usable inputs. I would really like to avoid this if i can.

Quote Originally Posted by 71_dramaqueen View Post
      I am planning on starting with a Megasquirt 3 or Motec and if i decide i want ABS in the future i would like to be able to change over to the stock Mopar Hellcat computer system. All my experience with wheel speed sensors is that they are super finicky if anything is even slightly off center or the distance of the sensor to the teeth is even a little bit off. I've never seen a wheel speed sensor retrofit so advice of those that have may save me some headaches.

One shop that I talked to that has done the OEM system swap resorted to making spindles to accept the OEM modern hubs to get usable inputs. I would really like to avoid this if i can.
      Biggest problem with Chrysler computers is the cracking of and reprogramming of them. Actually I really have seen some promise in the older early 2000s 3 channel Chevy/GMC C/K series system.

The latest Hellcat system has WAAAAYYYY too much crap basically designed for a specific car platform. Its tied to the height, weight, wheel base, roll center etc of the car and moving it over to different body would really screw with vehicle stability control and all that.

For aftermarket system Racelogic Traction Control looks good.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

[QUOTE=MonzaRacer;1303661]Biggest problem with Chrysler computers is the cracking of and reprogramming of them. Actually I really have seen some promise in the older early 2000s 3 channel Chevy/GMC C/K series system.

The latest Hellcat system has WAAAAYYYY too much crap basically designed for a specific car platform. Its tied to the height, weight, wheel base, roll center etc of the car and moving it over to different body would really screw with vehicle stability control and all that.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I used rotor cooling vanes for undriven wheel speed on my 'Cuda.

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com