Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Pro Touring S10 - "Quicksand"

Some of you know that my son and I are G-body wagon guys. We also like S10s, and as we're building our wagons to be more than daily drivers we both picked up an S10 to putt around town in. Mine is an 88 Blazer, click here for a couple pics. My son picked up a beater '84 pickup that will be his first ground up build, doing almost all the mechanical, body and paint work himself.

The set up is: Engine is a 355 with Scat rods KB 10.5:1 pistons, a .540" roller cam and Engine Quest circle track heads topped by an air gap dual plane and 750 Holley. Trans is a T-56 6 speed from an LT Camaro. Suspension is DJM drop spindles, 700# drop springs, Belltech shocks, Belltech 3" drop leafs and 4" blocks. C5 Corvette 13" brakes on UMI brake adapter brackets are wrapped by 18x9 XXR wheels and 275-35 Nitto NT555s all the way around. Coming soon is a disc 8.8" Ford rear axle swap and more UMI suspension upgrades for better handling. 👍

Here's a few pics of where he's at with it. More coming soon!

1. I did a rendering for him when we started the project to give him some guidance and motivation. He'll be using late model Toyota truck tan and the hood louver is from a late model Camaro.

2 & 3. Mocking up for hood mods.

4. The truck should be somewhere around 3000-3200 lbs so the 13" "budget" C5 brakes should help it stop real well.

-Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Another s10!!! To bad you are not closer because I have a narrowed 8.8 with a bunch of goodies for sale. Excited to see the progress!

I was following along with his first S10 build until the accident on Youtube. Nice to see you guys back at it! (Fellow S10 owner)

Does UMI also sell the turned down rotor hats to allow use of the Corvette rotors, or did you have to have a machine shop turn them down?

Jay

What width is it Jaymzz? :D

Jay- Yeah, that first one was intended to do this work to it. What an awful day that was, second time an old person cut him off and ruined his ride. Imagine being a teenager wanting to build a cool car and having that happen twice just as you were gaining momentum. I probably would've given up at that point, lol. He found this second one at a local wrecking yard. It was pretty rough and had no trans but the price wasn't too bad, real good builder for him.

We had a local machine shop mill the rotors. That set him back $60 each. Not sure if UMI carries them or not? I have the LS Camaro 12" brake swap on my wagon but will also be doing this 13" swap here soon. Tobin at Kore 3 told me the Camaro calipers have a slightly larger piston area but the ribs in the Vette calipers reduce flex and therefore have stronger braking pressure.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

I've been considering a CTS-V front brake swap. I initially thought about it some time ago, and at the time, there was some reason I preferred it over the Corvette brakes, but I don't remember what it was now. Back to research before I get that far. lol

There's a guy on S10forum who makes adapter brackets for the Camaro brakes, and I've seen people saying you could cut the rotors with a band saw and then turn the diameter with a brake lathe. But I doubt anyone at an auto parts store would do it.

Jay

I will get out in the shop and measure it Saturday. I cut down the long side axle housing and used the factory short axle and also redrilled for the s10 bolt pattern. Very easy swap. I have the conversion u joint part number out in the shop if you need it also.

Yes let me know. Junkyards around here are lame so if we had to ship one here just as well be from someone we know.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Went out and measured the rear end. and it is about 57 inches wide. On the wiring my Blazer was a 4.3 auto tahoe and I forgot it was a complete wiring mess from the last owner. When looking at my dash most of the original wiring had been hacked up over it's life so couldn't find the wires you are trying to trace. As soon as I looked I remember my blood boiling trying to get my windows and locks to work again and tracing red and blue wires everywhere. :(

Thanks for checking. I'll check with my son on the width of the axle and let you know. Can you PM me a price?

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Here's a few photo updates on the truck, and Roman's got the next installment of the Quicksand build up on Youtube, "painting the frame". Check it out at the link below! Please like, subscribe and support the vendors by watching the ads, that stuff helps Roman fund his sweet project and keeps the younger generation playing with old cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFtx_XLdnE

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      Here's a few photo updates on the truck, and Roman's got the next installment of the Quicksand build up on Youtube, "painting the frame". Check it out at the link below! Please like, subscribe and support the vendors by watching the ads, that stuff helps Roman fund his sweet project and keeps the younger generation playing with old cars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFtx_XLdnE

It was good to see his last video that let us know he was still at it. It had been a while. I'll go check it out.
      Last video he seemed a little over the top compared to past videos. Was that intentional?

Jay

Thanks! Not sure, what do you mean Jay?

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build