Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Cheap Nicopp brake line off Amazon

I just bought some 3/16 cheap Nicopp brake line off Amazon and it was junk. I heard how wasy Nicopp was to work with and this line did bend easy but could not get a good flare out of it.

At first I thought it was my technique then I thought it was the cheap flaring tools I was using. I bought the $50 Eastwood on car flaring tool and had the same results, deformed flare.

I finally remembered I had on old piece of steel line laying around the garage and it flared perfectly the first time. So the problem is the line I bought which is probably some Chinese knock off line.

Does anyone know of a good source for quality Nicopp line?

1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

I bought mine from a company based out of England.....not made in China. I can't remember the name of the company. I used the cheap stuff I had purchased from Jegs to mock up my lines and then used them as a template for the good stuff.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

fedhillusa.com
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

I have used Jegs brand straight pieces and I think AGS. I absolutely love it! I use this flaring tool and its also spectacular! IMHO...bad flares come from ****ty tools! I have a very expensive 37 degree tool and even with my lazy prep work, still perfect flares.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...SABEgKM4vD_BwE
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I use this. Can get it at Summit too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-U-R-R-BR-...EAAOSwsB9WDZxF

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

x2 what Don said. I used that brand with their fitting kit and worked great.

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Bought my Nicopp lines at O'Reilly's. Eastwood $200 plus flaring tool and it flares like butter. The somewhat expensive flaring tool is well worth the money no matter the line material.

Thanks everyone, a lot of great info! I think I'll give the line from Summit a try. I also like the idea about using the cheap line as a template, might as well since t's probably not worth the trouble to send back.

And just so everyone knows this is the cheap line I got that was junk, stay away from this stuff.
      https://www.amazon.com/25ft-Copper-N...eb_18465741011

Here's the flaring tool I bought, didn't work on the cheap line but produced a perfect double flare on the steel line. If you don't want to shell out $200 for the nice Eastwood model this is a good alternative. This only does 3/16 line but if you're just doing brake line that's all you need.
      https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-5...web_6804661011

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
      Thanks everyone, a lot of great info! I think I'll give the line from Summit a try. I also like the idea about using the cheap line as a template, might as well since t's probably not worth the trouble to send back.

And just so everyone knows this is the cheap line I got that was junk, stay away from this stuff.
      https://www.amazon.com/25ft-Copper-N...eb_18465741011

Here's the flaring tool I bought, didn't work on the cheap line but produced a perfect double flare on the steel line. If you don't want to shell out $200 for the nice Eastwood model this is a good alternative. This only does 3/16 line but if you're just doing brake line that's all you need.
      https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-5...web_6804661011

The OEM tool I linked is the best flaring tool I have ever used! It’s relatively cheap too!
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I did see some good reviews on that tool and that is a good price.

Finally finished with my brake lines, the SUR&R brake line flared perfect every time. It was super easy to bend and flare.

I have a lot of respect for the guys that have the patience and talent to make brake lines look perfect, I did what I could with mine but definitely not perfect.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Great results with the MasterCool hydraulic flare tool with Nicopp from thestopshop vendor on Amazon. The PREP WORK of the end of the tubing before beginning the flare process, using a high quality tool, and lubricating with a little brake fluid made all the difference when making my double inverted flares. Emphasis on prep work. It should be a perfectly square cut and have an even chamfer. No burrs.
      Chris Johnson

'66 Chevelle Malibu

I bought some Amazon NiCopp line too. I had a hard time getting it to seal at first but I found out I was over flaring it. Since the NiCopp is So much softer I found that if I go light on the double flare, then get it nice and tight on the distribution block, Master, etc. it sealed really well.

Quote Originally Posted by boss_hoss View Post
      I bought some Amazon NiCopp line too. I had a hard time getting it to seal at first but I found out I was over flaring it. Since the NiCopp is So much softer I found that if I go light on the double flare, then get it nice and tight on the distribution block, Master, etc. it sealed really well.
      It might have sealed, I was just worried about the back side of the flare. Every flare I did had a step or was uneven on the back side (step 1 of double flare) but the front side looked ok. I would have thought it was something I was doing but as soon as I switched to the SURR line it flared perfect every time.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com