Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Body stiffness

Country Flag: Russian Federation

Body stiffness

Hello friends
      There was such a question, should the body play?
      Is it possible to cook it with solid seams or all the same points?
      As my friend said, the body cannot be welded with a solid seam because it twists while driving and bursts in the weld seams.
      I am going to cook the frame in the cabin from beginning to end, I am interested in the question if we strengthen the body at the maximum, will the welding seams be torn or will the body be durable?Name:  20190319_140324.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  431.0 KB

Sorry for the translation using Google translator

Country Flag: United States
      When we were building IMSA stock body cars we skip welded all the seams with no issues.

You don't have any seams left to weld! You are so close to needing a tube framed car now you may as well go the rest of the way. Run tubes through the rockers and tie them into firewall and trunk hoops. Build a hoop to carry the B pillar and stitch weld the body to the tubes. You really need to tie that rear structure into the front of the car to keep it from bending at the floor joint. Rocker and mid floor tubes would help do that as well as building spine down the middle as a driveshaft box. It looks like you need to lose the old tunnel anyway as it is too low to work with a shaft now... Food for thought?
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Thanks for the advice, I was planning to connect this frame with the rear, the floor of the cabin and the floor of the bonnet, what do you think of such a frame?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

A perimeter frame will add a lot of longitudinal strength but you also need to add some torsional stiffness in there as well. "A", "B", & "C" pillar roll cage hoops should be tied into the floor as well to keep the lower frame from folding up on itself.
      I did this pic very quickly in paint so you can get an idea of what I am talking about. It's not pretty but you should get the idea.

Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Thank you very much, you are a very smart person, I did not think about it with a good idea, I will consider your drawing

I had to torsionally rigidity test mine to get it engineered for registration here in Australia. I have metal right through mine (metal hood liner, metal console, metal parcel shelves, full metal dash etc). We welded it al together. but the engineer also wanted to "strips" across the car in the floor (note car has new rear frame, new AMR front clip , and welded in subframe connectors). Even with all that he still wanted the two strips. They were 6mm steel (thick) by about 2" wide. Contoured to the floor plan and welded in. Well torsion test. It's stiff than an Aston Martin. Takes over 12,000 Nm to get it to twist
      Chris Luxford

68 Camaro 632 BBC

61 Buick Lesabre - Daily Driver

06 Prius - Wife's a tree hugger !

where I can see your project, it is very interesting to see