Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Exit under the axle?

Hey guys,

I just swapped my old ridetech rear 4 link for the new one. The upper control arms made me redo the exhaust. I had it running over the axle and out the sides behind the rear tire. The new system uses different upper mounts and takes up more usable space where the exhaust pipes used to go. Long story short, I just put a downward 45 degree tip and now the dump just in front of the rear end. Problem is, I can't think in the car anymore. It's stupid loud.

I have black widow mufflers which are just straight through. So the question is, do I invest in quieter mufflers and keep the dump under the car? Or do I get the pipes redone and maybe go under the rear axle with flat pipe?

Any creative exhaust options out there? The sound dump under the car just doesn't have anywhere to go, so it bounces off the bottom of the car and resonates.

I would try Dyno Max super turbos. They are not expensive.
      Or buy a box a bends and redo the exhaust out to the bumper.

Country Flag: United States
      you don't need flat pipe to go under the axle, 3 inch works fine. A picture of what you have would help but I'd guess you could just take off where your down dumps are.

May I ask why you swapped the old 4 link for the new version?

Not sure it will help but try pointing the exits towards the same point on the ground. It will somewhat cancel the exhaust waves and give you a little relief until you figure out something more permanent.

I've ran dumps and love the sound but hate the fumes and the amount of dust/dirt they kick up.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      May I ask why you swapped the old 4 link for the new version?

Honestly its kind of a weird situation. I was chasing a "bang" sound upon downshift in the rear end. It came from both sides of the car so I knew it wasn't the drivetrain. Ultimately I figured it was in the bushings of the lower or upper control arms. The old system also didn't have the new adjustable ends on them, so I ordered a replacement system. I then found the problem with the help of another member here (all of the nuts on the system weren't super tight, they have to be 100 lbs) So I tightened everything up and it fixed the bang sound, but by then, I had the parts and the car scheduled to get the system swapped, so I just moved ahead with it.

I got me the new rod link ends and the adjustability I wanted but if I were to do it over again, I would just have swapped out the control arms. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      Not sure it will help but try pointing the exits towards the same point on the ground. It will somewhat cancel the exhaust waves and give you a little relief until you figure out something more permanent.

I've ran dumps and love the sound but hate the fumes and the amount of dust/dirt they kick up.
      I put 150 miles on it this weekend. I can't even talk to the person next to me. I don't have AC so the windows are always down. No way I can live with it. I'm going to run it under the axle and out the back. I hadn't heard about pointing them at the same point in the ground, pretty cool idea, I will try that until I can get it in.

Name:  Attachment.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  299.8 KB
      Name:  Attachment (1).JPG
Views: 315
Size:  284.6 KB

For those that have run under axle exhaust, how much space do you give between the axle and the pipe? Or do you just lift the body up and measure the axle sag and set it there?

Yep, with the shocks at full extension and the axle hanging, build your tailpipes. I build them with almost zero clearance, no need to waste space.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

If you need ideas this is how the exhaust shop did it on mine. I have two first gens with the ridetech setup and the exhaust under the axle. No issues with clearance, def helps with keeping the sound out (I might add resonators to quiet it down some more), and doesn't kickup dirt/dust as bad.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Thanks Donny and Doug!

Yeah, she is going in on Thursday. I asked them to quote with stainless since that is what is on the rest of the exhaust and he said it would be $1,000.00 just to run pipes from the mufflers out. He said it would be $450 with galvanized pipe and it will last for years. Stainless is sexy but I don't think it's worth an extra $500.00 so I'm just going galvanized pipe. I will run it just like you have it Doug, looks great.

Awesome. If you need any other pictures let me know.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

So I got the car back from the muffler shop. Guy did a great job but I hate the way the pipes look coming out of the back of the car. They are directly under the reverse lights and they just look terrible. So I am going to redo them.

On a brighter note. The car is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than it was when the pipes were dumped under the car just in front of the rear end. And it's also quieter than when the pipes exited out the side of the car just behind the rear tires. It was 83 decibles at 60 mph in the car with the dump under the car, it is now 80 decibles at 60 mph. Now for those that think 3 decibles isn't much, sound amplitude doubles every 6 decibles and percieved sound doubles every 10, so it's pretty sizable difference. Also, the vibration that was going on under the car that you could feel is gone as well. Pipes out the back equals awesome.

So....I think I am going to modify the rear valance, pull the reverse lights out of the rear valance and run the pipes out where the reverse lights are now. I will post of a pic of Robert Downey Jr's car that SpeedCore built for him. They did the same thing and I think it looks nice. Let me know what you think.

Name:  Robert-Downey-Jr-1970-Ford-Boss-302-Mustang-4.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  232.2 KB

I was worried about how under the axle would look on my car, and it’s almost invisible. No reason to make things way tighter and harder to work on by trying to snake it over the axle. At least in my opinion.

Attachment 208619Name:  IMG_9123.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  411.0 KB
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

I'm running 4inch under the axle. I started with 3.5inch clearance but it hung to low so went with 2.5 for clearance.Name:  20231012_175111.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  395.4 KBName:  20231011_160557.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  363.8 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com