Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Good news! There is a visible VIN stamped on top of the frame rail on the driver’s side near the fuel tank. Matches the last eight numbers on the dash VIN tag. He had to get in there with a small mirror, but it’s clearly there. Awesome! Moving forward.

Hey what's up! This is Vin from CaFords. When I purchased my '73 Camaro from AZ, DMV was only able to locate 1 VIN so the guy made me go to CHP. They need to see 2 VINs. The previous owner did a cheap paint job and painted over the door tag or what looked like a door tag. I made my appointment and went to the one in Castro Valley. The officer there was very friendly and did not give me a hard time whatsoever. He took about 5min to look over the car and signed me off. Back to the DMV I went and all was good. My motor and trans were not original.

I don't think they will go over the car as thoroughly as something like a fox body lol.

Hey wussup bro! Good to hear that from you. Still got that clean ass Fox vert? I should be picking up the Skylark soon. It has two visible VINs after all. Also, a cool local LEO from the Lat-G forum said to hit him up, he can do the VIN verification as well.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      Hey wussup bro! Good to hear that from you. Still got that clean ass Fox vert? I should be picking up the Skylark soon. It has two visible VINs after all. Also, a cool local LEO from the Lat-G forum said to hit him up, he can do the VIN verification as well.
      Sweet! Glad someone was able to help you out. I do still have that convertible money pit. It's currently getting a coyote swap done since the original motor went out. Once that's done, it's officially done.

Damn Vin that’s a ton of money into the Fox now the Camaro too!? Can’t wait to see them finished, especially the split bumper!

Some more words of advise.... AAA can do the VIN verification too and they really could care less whats done to the car. No month out appointment like with CHP either. But you have to be a AAA member to do it.

1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Country Flag: United States
      I bought a brand new car in Minnesota and drove it home to California. Great road trip with my younger brother. When I got here with just a Manufactures Certificate of Origin I had to have the DMV verify the car. They wanted to make sure it wasn’t a salvage repair, flood car, etc.

When it came time to pay registration and sales tax (that Minnesota didn’t collect at all), they asked me what the car was worth. I started to say “I paid....” The lady held up her hand and stopped me mid-sentence and said “I didn’t ask you what you paid, I asked you what it’s worth. It’s now a used car”.

I dropped 20% off what I paid and that’s what I paid tax on. Weird but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Some more words of advise.... AAA can do the VIN verification too and they really could care less whats done to the car. No month out appointment like with CHP either. But you have to be a AAA member to do it.
      Thanks for the info. I’ve been thinking of getting a AAA membership for a while now instead of our Geico roadside service per car.

Quote Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
      I bought a brand new car in Minnesota and drove it home to California. Great road trip with my younger brother. When I got here with just a Manufactures Certificate of Origin I had to have the DMV verify the car. They wanted to make sure it wasn’t a salvage repair, flood car, etc.

When it came time to pay registration and sales tax (that Minnesota didn’t collect at all), they asked me what the car was worth. I started to say “I paid....” The lady held up her hand and stopped me mid-sentence and said “I didn’t ask you what you paid, I asked you what it’s worth. It’s now a used car”.

I dropped 20% off what I paid and that’s what I paid tax on. Weird but nice.
      Wow that’s pretty damn cool of her! Usually everyone at DMV looks mad at the world.

Country Flag: United States
      There are mobile VIN verifiers here in the State of California that will come to your house for a fee. I bought my car out of state, had it shipped here with another state's title, which i verified to be clear. The verifier came to my house looked at one VIN and we filled out the paperwork, gave her $70 and took it all to AAA. Done and very easy with no CHP wait. The car didn't have a motor and trans installed at the time but both were available to view. AAA is the best when it comes to this stuff, dealing with the DMV is tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com