Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Transferring title/registration to California for a restored outa state car

I’m really interested in a car from Washington. During restoration the cowl was replaced and the VIN tag/plate was not reinstalled to the new cowl. Seller still has the cowl tag though. Will this be a problem to transfer/register here in California?

Did he screw up the original rivits? If he cut out the entire piece then I would "graft" it back in.

Yes that will be an issue if its not on the car. You will have to take it to CHP for a VIN verification and all factory VIN tags must be on it. The whole VIN verification process sucks to go through but you have no choice. Good luck!
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Are the cowl VIN tags a brushed stainless finish from the factory?

He took the tag off really clean. He said he can rivet it back onto the factory location of the firewall. Should he spray paint it the new engine compartment color or just leave it in the brushed stainless finish?

Country Flag: United States
      There were special clover leaf shaped rivets used on GM cars. You haven't said what year or model car you are discussing. 67 Camaros had the tag riveted to the driver's door jamb. 68 up had the tag on the dash, visible from outside the car. Ford and Mopar had them in the engine compartment but not firewall
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

‘68 Skylark

I know 67 Camaro VIN tag was on the door post, 68 up was located on the dash, viewable from outside through the windshield. On a First and Second gen Camaro there is a second vin under the cowl panel, one more below the heater blower motor inside the right fender. On Chevelles, there is a vin on the LH frame rail left rear top, so it's facing the trunk floor. 55 chevy is under the driver floor on top of the frame rail. I have no info for Skylark but do know California CHP has a guy who inspects and he has a list of VIN locations. I think he needs to see two of them & they must match the paperwork to verify a car.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Having to go to CHP would be worst case scenario, assuming DMV has an issue with the VIN tag placement right? As long as VIN tags are in the factory locations and they match the title shouldn’t that be good enough?
      Here’s pics of the tags. Should I have it painted body color before riveting back on?

Rivets have to match the tag. So if painting it needs to all be done at once. Like stated above, it needs to be the correct rivets too. It needs to look factory or you open up a can of worms.

Seller will reinstall it on the new cowl section factory location with the correct rivets and match the paint.

You may want to consider verifying that all the VIN numbers match and find out any history on the car. It would be awful to buy the car, only to find out the VIN's don't match / car is stolen. Then you're out a lot of time an money.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I highly doubt that it’s stolen. Who would go through with such a build on any questionable stolen car. That would be so much labor, money, and time wasted. Here’s pics of the two VIN tags. Looks like they match.
      https://i.vgy.me/EWar7Z.jpg
      https://i.vgy.me/uXaTpw.jpg

why do you want to fool with all this hassle of VIN tag problems?

Buy another car without all these issues that EVERYONE now knows about on this car!

All I can say is that it better be CHEAP!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      I highly doubt that it’s stolen. Who would go through with such a build on any questionable stolen car. That would be so much labor, money, and time wasted. Here’s pics of the two VIN tags. Looks like they match.
      https://i.vgy.me/EWar7Z.jpg
      https://i.vgy.me/uXaTpw.jpg
      The first tag is the cowl trim tag which has nothing to do with the VIN, the title, and title transfer. If that is the “VIN” tag you are referring to it is completely irrelevant to the title transfer process.

Pretty sure you were told this a couple of days ago on the other forum.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

VIN TAG.

Cowl TAG.

OP said "VIN tag/plate". Which is it???

Cowl tag irrelevant to registration.

VIN TAG is a big deal for registration!

Correct rivets? Correct cowl tag? Repo cowl tag?

All can be a big deal when it comes to value.

Let the seller deal with the mess they have created!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Ok I’m confused. If that cowl tag doesn’t have anything to do with the VIN#/title/transfer, where would the next VIN tag be located aside from the one on the dash? DMV will be looking for two VIN#s right? This would honestly suck. It’s a really nice looking build.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      There were special clover leaf shaped rivets used on GM cars. You haven't said what year or model car you are discussing. 67 Camaros had the tag riveted to the driver's door jamb. 68 up had the tag on the dash, visible from outside the car. Ford and Mopar had them in the engine compartment but not firewall
      The rivets were referred to as "Rosette" rivets.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

As far as DMV I am in Louisiana so it may not be the same but they have never even looked at my cars. A cop checked my VIN once because I had am unregistered plate on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      Ok I’m confused. If that cowl tag doesn’t have anything to do with the VIN#/title/transfer, where would the next VIN tag be located aside from the one on the dash? DMV will be looking for two VIN#s right? This would honestly suck. It’s a really nice looking build.
      For a full frame car it is on the frame. Another one may be on the engine block if it is the original engine.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com