Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Hood weights?

Country Flag: Canada

Hood weights?

I purchased an Anvil Auto dry carbon hood for my 71 Chevelle, and it finally showed up to their facility and they are saying it weighs 30 lbs. That is WAY heavier than I was expecting. They advertise 14.5 lbs, which I figured was BS, but 30 lbs would be more what a carbon/fiberglass hood weighs. I'm trying to figure if this is a manufacturing error or not.

Can some please share what the weight's of your hoods are. Steel, fiberglass, carbon fiber, carbon/fiberglass. Need info ASAP.

Thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      I'll try and weight my carbon/ fiberglass hood this weekend for you. I have a full carbon trunk I can weight just because to compare.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I'll try and weight my carbon/ fiberglass hood this weekend for you. I have a full carbon trunk I can weight just because to compare.
      That'd be awesome. What kind of car?

My, what I believe is full carbon trunk weighs about 14-15 lbs. A bit heavier than I expected too.

It's for a 68 camaro and isn't Apple's to Apple's but should be close by a couple of pounds of each other.
      Ahmad B.

My Anvil carbon/ fiberglass hood weights 30lbs with spring and hinges. My Anvil full carbon trunk is 9.5lbs. I weighed them both using my mobile freon scale.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      My Anvil carbon/ fiberglass hood weights 30lbs with spring and hinges. My Anvil full carbon trunk is 9.5lbs. I weighed them both using my mobile freon scale.
      30 lbs with hinges... I suspect that puts the hood alone around 24 lbs.

Thanks!

If I get time today I'll remove the hinges to get an exact weight.
      Ahmad B.

Is the hood full carbon ... ? Each hood listed on their site has the weights listed . Or is the 30 lb weight including the box they ship in . I can say with my hood it shipped in a big heavy box with foam wood bubble wrap etc . If I can find someone with a fish scale I could possibly take mine out of storage and weigh it . Mine is full carbon
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Anvil's website has weights that are a bunch of BS. Not because they are false advertising, but because they didn't know. Apparently I am the first to order a full carbon 70-72 Hood from them.

In any case, the weights are hood or trunk only, not including the boxes, brackets, or hardware.

Absolutely horse**** ...my first hood was order and arrived while I was off work due to shoulder recon ... second hood arrived ... and I wasnt the first by any means.

- - - Updated - - -

Where are you located?
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Seems you already got your question answered. But to add another data point. I have the carbon fiber / fiberglass hood (top is CF, bottom is fiberglass) for a 68 Camaro and it weighed 24 lbs.

I've gotten really into weighing all kinds of things on my Camaro. In fact, I weighed every piece of Anvil Auto Carbon Fiber compared to the steel take offs and wrote a blog post on it. My friend has the new heat extractor 100% carbon fiber Camaro hood and it weights 17 lbs.

Anvil Auto Carbon Fiber Weights

Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com