Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

LS2 camshaft going to whipple

Thanks I have a 6.0 LS 2 GM crate engine with roughly 500 miles on it in my 67 Chevelle. I was looking for input into a more aggressive camshaft that would give me the attitude I’m looking for while giving me the performance I need for a 2.9 Whipple upgrade in about a year or less. Is there an option that will work well while normally aspirated and still work when I decide to go to the Whipple?

Country Flag: United States
      I would give Texas Speed a call.

Quote Originally Posted by GS455vert View Post
      Thanks I have a 6.0 LS 2 GM crate engine with roughly 500 miles on it in my 67 Chevelle. I was looking for input into a more aggressive camshaft that would give me the attitude I’m looking for while giving me the performance I need for a 2.9 Whipple upgrade in about a year or less. Is there an option that will work well while normally aspirated and still work when I decide to go to the Whipple?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Tooley Racing

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I would upgrade pistons and rods before throwing a cam in with a blower, especially if you are going to be driving it hard. Ya people put way more power to them stock but they are ticking time bombs at over 600hp. Those stock rods like to see whats going on outside the engine. Just my 2 cents...

But if you are going to throw a cam in it and you want to drive NA for a while, stick with something under 230 duration and under 600 lift with a 114-116° lobe center.
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Not that forged pistons and upgraded rods would be a nice upgrade, but a stock bottom end LS2 can handle boost and be fine. Plenty of supercharger from folks like Edelbrock and Wipple designed as a direct bolt on to stock engines. The LSA has hyper pistons and I have seen many cammed/pulley upgrades..700+hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      I would upgrade pistons and rods before throwing a cam in with a blower, especially if you are going to be driving it hard. Ya people put way more power to them stock but they are ticking time bombs at over 600hp. Those stock rods like to see whats going on outside the engine. Just my 2 cents...

But if you are going to throw a cam in it and you want to drive NA for a while, stick with something under 230 duration and under 600 lift with a 114-116° lobe center.
      - - - Updated - - -

Not that forged pistons and upgraded rods would be a nice upgrade, but a stock bottom end LS2 can handle boost and be fine. Plenty of supercharger from folks like Edelbrock and Wipple designed as a direct bolt on to stock engines. The LSA has hyper pistons and I have seen many cammed/pulley upgrades..700+hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post

1970 Camaro/DSE build

I run a C6 lS3 with a procharger D1SC, 747 rwhp... stock bottom end, heads, stock intake, stock TB, stage 3 cam and springs. I do run meth.. You can run boost on stock bottom without issues. I run around with C6, zl1 camaro and ctsv guys in the 600-800 range and all have stock short blocks beating the piss out of them weekly.

I'm building a 72 camaro with lS2 bottom and lS3 heads. Then will bolt on a lsa supercharger with zl1 lid. If you plan to boost later configure your setup for e-85. Most boosted guys run meth or e-85 to keep temps down and retain good timing.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I should have mentioned that I work for a well known shop that specializes in building LS engines. I see 1000+ engines go in and out of the shop every year. #1 most common problem, broken rod. #2 most common, broken or melted piston. Stock engines of course. Yes, these engines can handle 700hp stock but for how long? There is a reason why every boosted engine we build gets at a minimum forged pistons and h-beam rods. We wont put our name on a ticking time bomb. You guys feel free to run whatever you want but this is just my advise from years of doing this stuff. Pistons and rods are cheaper to replace now rather than an entire engine later. Would you rather be safe or sorry?

^^ failures happen...even with Forged pistons and upgraded rods. These upgrades don’t make you bulletproof. A quality tune keeping reasonable power level for the foundation is key. A LS2 with factory heads is not going to make crazy horsepower with that whipple.

$6k for a whipple supercharger on a LS2 for 500rwhp probably isn’t the best bang for the buck. Especially if you tear it down to upgrade the pistons and rods (requiring machine work in the bores, engine balance, rings, bearings, assembly etc) That’s probably another $3k+. You can buy an
      LSA engine for that these days...likely a used LT4. Probably something an experienced LS builder would advise for a nice muscle car cruiser.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Chances of failure are a lot less with stronger parts. Yes the tune plays a huge roll in all this but parts that are meant to handle half the HP they are seeing are going to break. No way around it.

I agree with the 2nd half of your post. Building the LS2 would be more expensive then selling it and buying a better base engine. A LSA with more boost then stock will make plenty of power and be safe and reliable. It would probably end up costing the same as a built LS2 as well. The LT4 would be the most expensive route to go as they are still pretty new. Plus you will have to change the pulley system to fit in the car and add in power steering which wont be cheap. Awesome engine, just not cheap yet.

for anyone looking this is a STEAL and if I didn't already have all my parts I'd be buying it.... zl1 with tr6060..
      https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...898656747.html 6500.. STEAL

Quote Originally Posted by stevenb8 View Post
      for anyone looking this is a STEAL and if I didn't already have all my parts I'd be buying it.... zl1 with tr6060..
      https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...898656747.html 6500.. STEAL
      has to be a scam. I saw it earlier but...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com