Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

So been looking for better computer to tune with down the road,,,,

So I looked at several designs, brands and such. Everything from Getac, General Dynamics and so many more are available used off ebay and for what I planned will work just fine.
      Don't need latest and greatest graphics or processors and sure as heck wouldnt try subjecting ANY Apple product to this plan.
      Also looking at couple of adapters that allow me to use OEM level diagnostic software at work.
      So when money allowed I bid on an older Dell Latitude 4-5 yrs old but still Core I5, decent ram and since I already had dying laptop with ssd I figured shoot them a deal to sell me laptop without the hdd. As I researched this unit it came with bluetooth and lighted keyboard(or so I thought) and I sent in bid of $100 plus their shipping.
      I won and it came with nearly new battery which according to a cycle conditioning program I found is working issues out of battery that sat too long.

BUT no bluetooth or carry handle like I wanted, which was cause I got excited at laptop that was right number but missing the ATG option.

Still the unit has capabilities to allow me to upgrade/add this without too much issue, just like adding bigger/better parts on cars.

Till I start pricing parts. Damn. So I started looking for another similar model figuring Id just get what I want, swap hdd over and sell other unit easy enough and maybe make it cheaper.

So I bid on another unit minus the lcd, hdd, memory and processor BUT it was ATG and working pull.

Well it came yesterday and today I swapped processor, web cam, ram, hdd all over to my newest laptop a Dell Latitude E6430ATG. I need to find few more screws(neither computer came with all of them for bottom cover) ordered a new hdd caddy for heck of it as I may use it to hot swap.

So new laptop has lighted kb, and im typing on it as I listen through bluetooth connecting to my LG Tone headphones.

THIS IS AWESOME.
      For less than most of any mods we do I now have a solid, rugged laptop I can see kb at night and its plenty fast and I can still pick up larger, new battery for this one, buy a used CPU and some extra ram (they both can max at 16 gb so if I find a pair of 8gb I can have 12gb in both!) and another lcd and Im in the computers with TWO solid semi rugged laptops.
      The other Latitude doesnt have handle or bumpers or but I can add bumpers easy enough and handle possibly too.
      Blue tooth can be had for less than $25 for card and cable.

$124.75 first computer shipped
      $29.99 plus $8.99 shipping
      Current sdd from failing laptop is non cost.
      So new/unbroken used comp for $163.75 That would cost me $1500-$2000 if I buy new? Makes me happy just like buying new tools cheap or car parts cheap.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com