Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

12k LS motor and tranny 500 hp build challengr

Ok everyone says it’s possible to do this but here’s the deal. 100% swap from motor to tranny to ecm to accessories basically to put it all in and have it running. Tell me how you would do it or how you have done it for 12k if it can’t be done say that too . Let’s hive people a realistic from start to finish cost. Easy to say I did this and that to a motor but no one ever talks about to total cost to do it from start to finish. Who can step up and show it.

Thanks
      mark

Depends....what engine are we shooting for? Your not getting there with a LS7 or a LT4
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

LS1, LS2, LS3, LQ4, LQ6, Etc. I just think there are alot of people including myself that would like to know if it is realistically possible and if it can be done. Include everything from an TR6060 6 SPEED to the radiator, motor mounts, modifications, accessories EVERYTHING it would take start to finish to get a 500 HP setup in a first gen camaro. Maybe it is not possible but too many people get into these and then say oh Sh8t i ran out of money or I didnt know I needed this for this amount to make it happen.

Trying to either give someone a realistic expectation or a reality check before they make the jump. Lets make this thread realistic with what you have done. If it is more than that say it, if it was less say that too but lets not put unrealistic scenarios in it like, "my buddy sold me his LS3 motor for 500 out of his wrecked camaro" scenario. Be as realistic as you can.

LS motor with a manual tranny making 500HP. Oh and in keeping with the realistic theme here, lets keep it naturally aspirated. Easy to take any motor and throw an 150 shot of NOX on it and call it the day but we all know that is a short cut not a realistic solution to everyday driving.

Thanks,
      Mark

I'd start with a LS3 430, add a Tooley stage 2 LS3 cam, valve springs, and pushrods. Back it with a T56 Magnum. A friend of mine has this engine combination in his 66 Fairlane. It's 3900 pounds and he has run a best of 11.65@115mph, through a 4L60e and 9" rear end. If that's not 500HP, it is really close. You won't be able to buy EVERYTHING you listed above, but it'll be a solid combination.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I'd start with a LS3 430, add a Tooley stage 2 LS3 cam, valve springs, and pushrods. Back it with a T56 Magnum. A friend of mine has this engine combination in his 66 Fairlane. It's 3900 pounds and he has run a best of 11.65@115mph, through a 4L60e and 9" rear end. If that's not 500HP, it is really close. You won't be able to buy EVERYTHING you listed above, but it'll be a solid combination.

Andrew
      So if I was going to get an LS3 and buy a T56 magnum with the mods you suggested what would that cost 12k? What would the rest of what I would need cost? Trying to figure out if I bought a stick set up LS3 with stock T 56 for around 7k what I would need to spend to get it into the car running. Or am I better off finding a short block and building it and buy a magnum t 56

I just did a rough cost estimate based on experience. Would you like an Excel spreadsheet with a detailed parts list and best available prices? LOL Start looking up the prices...you have the internet...

As for "the rest" you will need:

ECU and harness...I'd go with the new Holley terminator X Max
      I would use the Holley swap components...all of them...pan...mounts...trans...etc...
      Hooker also has headers and a full exhaust system that is engineered to work with their swap system
      Bellhousing (various options available for the t56 Magnum
      Clutch...many options at various price points
      Clutch pedal hydraulic components (check with Bowler for trans and related needed items)

There is no such thing as a used LS3 with a T56. The 5th gen Camaros came with LS3 and had Tr6060 transmissions. These transmissions are not swap friendly because they use a fixed output flange instead of a slip yoke. You can get a Corvette LS3 but they used a transaxle.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

When I get a few moments, I’ll create a buy list. If you’re not particular on the best brand...you can do it. Mind you my list to do it cheap is mixing parts. Buying a Holley kit is $$$...the Terminator X is also not in the budget.

There are cheap mounts out there, cheap crossmembers and headers...

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      When I get a few moments, I’ll create a buy list. If you’re not particular on the best brand...you can do it. Mind you my list to do it cheap is mixing parts. Buying a Holley kit is $$$...the Terminator X is also not in the budget.

There are cheap mounts out there, cheap crossmembers and headers...
      If you skimp anywhere, do not skimp on the mounts. The engine needs to be as low as possible, and only the Holley swap system accomplishes this. They are not that expensive and will offer a superior swap.

The TerminatorX is on par in price with the GM kits, and offer easy user programmability, without extra software or being a slave to your local tuning "expert."

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

If you are looking for low cost build recipes head on over to the conversions and hybrids forum on ls1tech.com. Those guys love to scratch around for low cost.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I disagree on the engine mounts. Myself and others have done LS swaps before any of these fancy kits were around. My first swap used something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stock-Locat...ty!89115!US!-1 in combination with stock SBC mounts. $23 < $158?

I used dynatech headers at the time, but many more options today. The crossmember was a modified stock one and later the numerous application one from APT. F-body oil pan.

Granted it’s in a nice packaged kit, it’s not the most bang for the buck if you’re on a tight budget.

Also with the Term X....consider extra stuff, can it run the speedo? Reverse lock-out? Relays for fuel pump control, fan control etc. Things to consider when you shy away from OEM.

Seems to be a lot of bugs to work out as I’m watching the chatter on FB.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Cost can vary widely per person & per vehicle with numerous items nickel & diming you. What you may already have & what you can fabricate instead of buy can add up quickly. For a first time ls swapper, I would not piece together an entire engine.
      I had an existing efi in tank pump, saved several hundred.
      Being done in 2002' I made motor mounts, modded trans crossmember, & cut & reboxed cossmember for f-body oil pan when there were no aftermarkets. Ls1 block is approx. 1 1/2" shorter in backside than gen 1 sbc so I read, was able to use my driveshaft fit for t-5 with my t-56.all these saved a bit.
      Had to have power steering lines made for hydroboost & fuel adapter line from old tpi line to ls. Approx $100.
      Gauges? big variable already having good ones or buying to go with engine.
      Wiring harness. Buy ready to go, have one modified or modify yourself wire for wire for mostly your labor.
      Build your own exhaust or pay?
      So many variables here & none of us even know what sort of vehicle you're wanting to swap into;;;;another variable.

Due to the above, my assessment is accurate for the average guy. I really couldn’t do anything but bolt it together. I can’t weld, don’t have more than standard tools.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I've said what I wanted to say. Getting into a pissing match on the internet is so 2002.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post

Also with the Term X....consider extra stuff, can it run the speedo? Reverse lock-out? Relays for fuel pump control, fan control etc. Things to consider when you shy away from OEM.

Seems to be a lot of bugs to work out as I’m watching the chatter on FB.
      For the record, the TerminatorX can do all that and you don't need HP Tuners to make changes. People on FB can flap their gums all they want. I helped my buddy Tom install one on his 70 GTO a couple of weeks ago.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I think my GM LS3 crate (495) and my TKO 600 came in at 11,500. Add, front drive set-up, Holley LS swap kit, Headers, Exhaust, Radiator, gas tank, fuel lines, CAI kit, and a sh** ton of incidentals. The incidentals were a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
      and a sh** ton of incidentals. The incidentals were a killer.
      Yep, I tell folks it’s a death by 1000 cuts. The little stuff will nickel and dime you to death....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Well the good thing is you don’t need a new crate or a LS3 to get 500hp. In this budget most of the money will be for the engine. That being said you don’t need a new radiator...re-use the SBC rad. Re-use your SBC exhaust system, buy a engine with a front accessory drive. Don’t use expensive Holley parts. I think it can be done...you just need to start out with complete set-ups. It’s when you go off the tracks needing to upgrade everything and use the best parts. On my LS-1 swap about, it cost less than $7k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-Corve...wAAOSwFmFczGFp
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Yep, I tell folks it’s a death by 1000 cuts. The little stuff will nickel and dime you to death....

Don
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Country Flag: Canada
      My ls swap went way over budget.
      LSA with a magnum.

The guys here are right. You can do it
      Cheap but the labour and bloody knuckles and swearing will be high
      And then...will it all feel reliable?
      If you use top parts it all goes in smooth and usually
      Works out great after a couple tweaks.
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Yup, the worst part with budget builds is searching for those deals. I learned the hard way....just don’t even have a budget. Decide on what you want and buy it! I think that would have ultimately would have been cheaper in the long run. It’s like government philosophy, save now, but becomes more expense down the road.
      I have $12k In my engine alone...that JUST the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sikride View Post
      My ls swap went way over budget.
      LSA with a magnum.

The guys here are right. You can do it
      Cheap but the labour and bloody knuckles and swearing will be high
      And then...will it all feel reliable?
      If you use top parts it all does in smooth and usually
      Works out great after a couple tweaks.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com