Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Again existing vehicle brings more variables. On the good side of things, LS engines don't need as much radiator for cooling, so if you have a good one that was capable of handling let's say 350 hp with a gen 1 engine, you may be good there.

Not to forget other items further back like you rearend. If it can't handle the new LS horsepower, then it can handle any other engine's 500 hp.

Having a complete donor vehicle can cut down on incidentals if you're the right person for the work involved. Can sell off other items & final mess for scrap. Some transplant swaps have included much more of wiring harness and even entire dash with gauges & column & front floorpans with seats. Even entire pullouts complete with everything possible are more cost conservative than crate engine with aftermarket accessory drives.

Now on deciding factors, this is a common one.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxW6AIC8OQw

Man ton of great info here guys. I do have one other question for you. Besides the fixed flange yoke is there any other drawback to using the TR6060 6 speed in these swaps? I would figure you could have a driveshaft made or shortened to work. Are there any other drawbacks to it? I see alot of engine/trans combos out there that would save a ton of money over buying an engine then a T56 Tranny. This way you would have it all connected and ready to drop in.

I guess my question is what other factors make it a PITA to go with a TR6060. Are there tunnel mods that have to be made? This will be going in a 68 CAMARO.

Thanks
      Mark

Pretty sure you have cooling lines on them, which means a cooler to mount. Extra work is for a useful reason. Roller & thrust bearings fail much quicker under high hp with excessive heat.
      On the subject of old trans tunnels, most of em need enlarging for a lot of the modern trans options when mounted at proper height for proper driveshaft angles . aftermarket 5 speed is about as big as will fit many older vehicles without floor mods. Pretty sure there are premade tunnel parts for ist gen f-body swaps.
      Just deal with any major changes you need to make & you'll be glad you did it all when you're done.

Sounds like you're catching on Mark.

So here's my .02. On the L92 I had in my 73 Z28. RWHP was 480. I know it's not 500 but the small Texas Speed cam (220I/225E,.615 lift) could of been bigger. The L92 was out of a 2009 Silverado with 5000 miles. Before mods it was $4200. Cam $400. Push rods and springs $350?
      T56 magnum now is $3200. Camaro throw out was $120? LS7 clutch kit was $500.Bell housing I just sold one for $175.
      Yes as said above it's the motor mounts and front end accessories are not cheap. Tick speed bleeder. I can do fab and other stuff so the price is some what lower for my Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      So here's my .02. On the L92 I had in my 73 Z28. RWHP was 480. I know it's not 500 but the small Texas Speed cam (220I/225E,.615 lift) could of been bigger. The L92 was out of a 2009 Silverado with 5000 miles. Before mods it was $4200. Cam $400. Push rods and springs $350?
      T56 magnum now is $3200. Camaro throw out was $120? LS7 clutch kit was $500.Bell housing I just sold one for $175.
      Yes as said above it's the motor mounts and front end accessories are not cheap. Tick speed bleeder. I can do fab and other stuff so the price is some what lower for my Z28.
      This example fits a bunch of guys I would think. It looks like 5,000 for your engine set-up. A GM crate 480/495 LS3 was 6,500, higher now I know. You forgot to mention how much the Tune was ? Another 500.00 perhaps. Harness/ECM mods ?? A little bit more money for a brand New crate engine with a warranty seems like a no brainer. Just my .02

It sure does come down to preference. If I was going to stick a LS3 in my car and it was just going to be a cruiser, I would buy new as well. If you plan on modifying it, I wouldn’t be concerned about a warranty covered engine as you ruined that anyways. For what people charge for used LS3s....crazy. Based on LS engines...seems the LS7 is the only squeak needing warranty replacements. Seem rare you would need to exercise one during the covered period.

Used LS7s was the way to go for me...granted I paid good money for a used one and the end result was the same cost as a new one, I got the heads fixed and CNC ported, cammed, bigger injectors, new lifters, upgraded rockers etc. I’m more happy with this even though it’s got 30k miles on it.

Blueprint is an option as well...I thought I read they will tune the ECM with the purchase. They have 500hp packages and warranties better then GM
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Chassis dyno tune was $500. ECM and wiring harness was $800. Don't know about crate GM LS3 engines but all of my LS swaps needed a tune to run at it's best.

I agree, for optimum performance no matter what system, an actually dynamic tune will be needed to get it at its best.
      Texas Speed and Frost both did mail order tunes for me and it still needed dyno time

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Chassis dyno tune was $500. ECM and wiring harness was $800. Don't know about crate GM LS3 engines but all of my LS swaps needed a tune to run at it's best.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by toofun View Post
      Man ton of great info here guys. I do have one other question for you. Besides the fixed flange yoke is there any other drawback to using the TR6060 6 speed in these swaps? I would figure you could have a driveshaft made or shortened to work. Are there any other drawbacks to it? I see alot of engine/trans combos out there that would save a ton of money over buying an engine then a T56 Tranny. This way you would have it all connected and ready to drop in.

I guess my question is what other factors make it a PITA to go with a TR6060. Are there tunnel mods that have to be made? This will be going in a 68 CAMARO.

Thanks
      Mark

I have seen a successful TR6060 in a Sec Gen Camaro. It did require a custom driveshaft which was expensive and he had to modify for the shifter location. Depending on the cost of the unit, you could be ahead versus a Magnum. The tunnel totally depends on the car, I didn’t need to cut much and massaged a little.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com