Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

69 Camaro wiring harness questions

69 camaro shell (AKA There is no wiring in the car at all)
      Will be running LS engine and t56 trans so Ill have the wiring of the powertrain covered
      Will be running Efans and the vintage air setup and possibly power windows.
      I'll also be relocating the battery to the trunk.
      Looking for thoughts and opinions on all the different wiring harnesses out there... Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I am doing the wiring on my 69 camaro(LS3,T-56) right now and using the AAW classic update harness. I used the battery(in trunk) relocation kit from Mad Enterprise.
      I also bought the terminal crimping tools from AAW, a must! They can be tricky, suggest buying extra terminals and learn to solder. The biggest hold up I had was deciding where to put the ECM. I eventually put it in the passenger's toe board area and will build a removable cover for it. I cut a 3" hole below the fan hole,(AC lines are there now). I will use a 2 piece grommet to seal. While you are at your present stage, I would give serious thought to where the ECM will be located. I have a Fitech controller, so I contacted them. They suggested it be installed inside the car.
      Stephen

Thanks, Are you running Vintage Air also? If so, how much room is left in that area for the ECM?

Yes, I am running VA. There is not much room in the firewall area on passenger side. You need to mock it up and see what works with your set up
      Stephen

I also went with the AAW Classic Update kit. Extremely user friendly and has the fuses already marked for electric windows, A/C, and fuel pump, etc. Definitely use the correct crimpers or you will get frustrated fast!! I have Vintage A/C and there is very little room to fit everything under the dash. I am going to lose my glove box unfortunately.
      Matt H.

Thanks guys, this is the kit I'll go with. Probably end up mounting the ECM under the console, but that's a ways off. Trying to think ahead and get this under the dash stuff situated before the firewall goes on and puts me on my back on the floorboard.

I use AAW Classic Update kit on all of the 1st gen projects I wire. If you have any questions or need some assistance let me know.
      Eric Evans

Another vote for the AAW Classic update kit. Buy/rent the correct pliers from AAW and sell them when you are done. Maybe someone on here has a set to sell. Very complete and fits what you are doing. My car is very similar and there is a few circuits open to expand more if I needed to.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Thanks again guys. Just purchased the classic update wiring harness and vintage air system.
      I see what you guys are saying about the crimper tools. I'm going to solder all connections but still rent the crimper tools when the time comes. Right now I'm trying to get as much as I can get done behind the dash before I weld this firewall in.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareZ View Post
      Thanks again guys. Just purchased the classic update wiring harness and vintage air system.
      I see what you guys are saying about the crimper tools. I'm going to solder all connections but still rent the crimper tools when the time comes. Right now I'm trying to get as much as I can get done behind the dash before I weld this firewall in.
      A properly done crimp should not be soldered. The solder wicks up the wire and makes it brittle and prone to breaking. There is a reason the OEMs don’t solder their crimps.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      A properly done crimp should not be soldered. The solder wicks up the wire and makes it brittle and prone to breaking. There is a reason the OEMs don’t solder their crimps.

Don
      Never heard that before. But I guess it kind of makes sense. I would have assumed it was just a way for the OEMs to speed up production and save $$$. IDK, in my mind, the crimp holding onto the plastic wire covering would fail before the solder. That is interesting though. I'll see how this crimper tool works and go from there.

Never heard that before. But I guess it kind of makes sense. I would have assumed it was just a way for the OEMs to speed up production and save $$$. IDK, in my mind, the crimp holding onto the plastic wire covering would fail before the solder. That is interesting though. I'll see how this crimper tool works and go from there.
      Took me a while to accept it but I have done several cars with no solder and no bad crimps.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Took me a while to accept it but I have done several cars with no solder and no bad crimps.

Don
      I'm open to anything that works. I'm definitely seeing that crimper tool as a must. Like all the others have said. Thanks for the input Don.

I'm open to anything that works. I'm definitely seeing that crimper tool as a must. Like all the others have said. Thanks for the input Don.
      You’ll need two crimpers, large and small.
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You’ll need two crimpers, large and small.
      Gotcha… I'll just rent those when the time comes and I get all my lengths and what not figured out.

Gotcha… I'll just rent those when the time comes and I get all my lengths and what not figured out.
      I just looked and it looks like they have one crimper to replace the two they used to offer. I bought mine over 10 years ago.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I just looked and it looks like they have one crimper to replace the two they used to offer. I bought mine over 10 years ago.

Don
      Do you have the tool number? I'll stick that on my whiteboard for future reference if you have it.

Do you have the tool number? I'll stick that on my whiteboard for future reference if you have it.
      No it would likely be best to check with them. They seem to sell a single but rent two sizes. Sort of confusing. Sorry for the confusion.
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

No it would likely be best to check with them. They seem to sell a single but rent two sizes. Sort of confusing. Sorry for the confusion.
      No problem, I'll get with them when the time comes. Thanks for all the input. Happy New Year's man. Stay safe.

Sounds like we all have the same similar project and issues (-: Im just not sure how everyone is actually fitting everything under the dash with AC
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com