Default Need Help: 1992 700r4 into a 67 El Camino 400SBC. What do I need to not burn it up?

I'm trying to finish my father's project truck so he can drive it pretty quickly before his health is totally gone. He has a 67 El Camino that has a 400 SBC in it. He stuck a 700r4 out of a 1992 Camaro Z28 in the truck. What do I need to do so he doesn't destroy the trans? Is there some sort of controller I need for the trans? Do I only need to hook up the TV cable? Sorry, I come from the LS world where everything is computer controlled, and I don't know much about pre 1997 stuff. He's running a Holley 650cfm carb, I konw I'll need the TV cable bracket so it hooks to the carb, but that's about all I know. Am I better off just pulling the trans and sticking a th350 in there?
    I am obsessed with cars.

All the 700 R4 needs is the TV cable hooked up to the carb and correctly adjusted. If not adjusted properly you can roast the transmission in a very short time.

Country Flag: United States

Quote Originally Posted by brrymnvette View Post
    I'm trying to finish my father's project truck so he can drive it pretty quickly before his health is totally gone. He has a 67 El Camino that has a 400 SBC in it. He stuck a 700r4 out of a 1992 Camaro Z28 in the truck. What do I need to do so he doesn't destroy the trans? Is there some sort of controller I need for the trans? Do I only need to hook up the TV cable? Sorry, I come from the LS world where everything is computer controlled, and I don't know much about pre 1997 stuff. He's running a Holley 650cfm carb, I konw I'll need the TV cable bracket so it hooks to the carb, but that's about all I know. Am I better off just pulling the trans and sticking a th350 in there?
    We make a TV cable kit specifically for what you're doing. It is designed to replicate the GM geometry for the TV cable when using an aftermarket carb like the Holley. You can check them out on our website Here- Tru Shift

You can also check out the video we have that explains how they work

https://youtu.be/zLTVxSS_Jxc
    visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Default 700r4

Holley 700R4 bracket
    I did my 68 Camaro a year ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Awesome! Thanks for the replies! I was hoping it would be that easy.

I am obsessed with cars.