Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How much rear suspension travel do I need for track car?

Hey guys, buttoning up my rear 3 link suspension on the Rolls Royce and was curious how much upward and downward suspension travel I need?

Its a race-only setup with driving on the street to shows and events.

I have the upper mounts tacked with some "dummy" tubes as rear shocks for mockup.

Country Flag: United States
      The rule of thumb that gets tossed around is 3" of compression and 2" of rebound travel (at the wheel). If you're running super stiff springs, you might be able to get away with a little less, but the safer route is to err on the side of more travel. What will your rear ride frequency be?
      - Ryan

5" of travel is what I was told from virtually everyone I spoke to when putting together my rear suspension. Turns out that 5" is also what the manufactures build into their packages. For me, 5" was simply too much. I could never get my desired ride height and 5" shock stroke to work together. After arguing with techs and experts for two years I finally switched to a 4" stroke shock and all of a sudden my rear suspension problems went away. I have O-ring tattle tales on my shock rods and based on that I only see about 2.5" of total stroke at the shock. I'm running fairly stiff springs at 800lbs front and 300lbs rear.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

5" total is an excellent target. 4" total is a good minimum.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com