Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

69 el Camino Front Sway Bar..

I have a 69 el Camino with a big block. I have the SC&C Stage 3 kit on the front with a Lee 14:1 box. I have Spohn Delsphere adjustable rear control arms. I have stock springs in the front and BMR 2" lowering springs in the back.

I am still using the stock bar and want to get something better. The car does sway slightly and half way through a deep turn its a little unsteady. I think its from the camber changing due to the sway bar not holding things tight. I have one degree of camber with 7-8 degrees of caster and a slight toe in..

I was thinking of the Hellwig but I see some on here prefer the UMI over the Hellwig..

Whats your favorite for this car in full street trim, no racing but I do drive Western Pennsylvania roads, they are anything but boring and flat haha..

Thank you..Name:  front lower dirvers control arm.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  95.1 KBName:  Passenger side front nice.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  233.1 KBName:  Spohn drivers.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  226.0 KBName:  front lower passengers side control arm.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  88.1 KB

I think you would do better by going to lower profile tires. Do a Plus2 on the wheel size and get that sidewall down out of nosebleed territory. Honestly, that is where you are getting the sway from, not the bar.
      My truck is a slot car with the stock bar up front. Of course the lowering and poly bushings help immensely but the biggest improvement came with the shorter sidewall tires.

Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I'd prefer to keep the 70 series tires, I'm old and like the smaller tires. I wish I could get to like the newer wheels but I just can't over come it, lol..

I installed a 1.25" anti front sway bar on my 65 Malibu. I got it from a 78 or so Pontiac Trams Am. Just a cheap junk yard upgrade.
      I believe those will fit your El Camino also.
      I would install a rear anti sway bar also.

Country Flag: Canada
      A bigger front bar will help some a rear bar will also help but I have to agree 70 series tires will prevent you from noticing any huge gains . I get your thoughts on "circus wagon " looks . Check out maybe wheel vintiques 16 or 17 inch , with a 255 50 series , this will give big gains and still a decent ride .
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I saw one car with 17" wheels that I liked. It was a 70 Mopar with stock steel wheels in 17 x 8 front and 17 x 10 rear.. They were painted the same color as the car and kind of faded in..

The rally wheels on my truck are 17's in front & 18's in back. 255-50 x 17's would look good all the way around on your El Camino and would eliminate a lot of that sway you are seeing.
      You have a lot of coin tied up in handling parts under the car and are not seeing any of the benefits with the tall sidewall tires.
      If you are running 225-70-15's the OD is "about" 27.4 inches
      The 255-50 x 17's are the exact same diameter, 27.4 inches. The 2" shorter sidewalls will make for a very noticeable seat of the pants performance gain.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Thanks Mark! I really appreciate your feedback.. I'm going to look into the 255x50r17..

My setup is similar to yours with all the SC&C equipment, with the exception of 285/35/18's up front, and a watts link in back. Last year I switched from the 442 F/R sways to Helwig on both ends. I'm a big fan, love driving the car on the street and it did really well at the road-course last year. The front is hollow and the rear is adjustable. I'm not entirely sure that DS is all too different from Hellwig, but I'm no Mark Savitske so I wouldn't really know.

I wouldn't ever go back to the stock sways and love my setup the more I drive it.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Thanks 442! Glad to hear there is a big difference. I don't have a rear bar now, I'm just using the stock front bar with poly end links, one guy told me just using those spherical end links would help a lot.. Those Helwig bars sure are less expensive then the Detroit Speed bars...

70s Formula and Trans Ams had 1 1/4" front bars. Granted harder to find in bone yards nowadays. Shocks can make a big difference also.

I will agree with the others that tires can make a big feel difference. Years ago on my 78 TA that I autocrossed with 255-60-15s swapping to 255-50-16s was night and day difference-and 25" 16 road race slicks an difference even over that. 17" wheels were not around yet back then.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com