Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      As of right now everything off the stud on the alternator is 11.42. Across the battery though it’s 11.52 if that makes a difference.

Country Flag: United States
      I would try the Holley alternator connector pigtail with the built in resistor as suggested by Blitzer.

Sorry, no other ideas. Hopefully Blitzer will weigh in.

https://www.holley.com/products/acce.../parts/197-400

Don

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Name:  501966B7-EFBF-471F-AE4D-6991D7BB12DE.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  268.2 KBI will give it a shot. Do you know where the other end of that wire goes? The pic is what I have going now. Since that red wire is turned around from the plug to the stud I don’t know where it was supposed to go just that psi told me to do it.

You can use one of these kits if you don’t want to cut your harness up (only use one of the pieces to bypass your old regulator.

https://www.classicmuscle.com/altern...yABEgLdbPD_BwE

Be sure to upgrade your charging wire (big wire) coming off of the alternator, the old size is too small for the new alternator. I would use at least 8awg or even a 4. I had a similar problem with my old C5 style alternator. I could only get 12.3v (under full load). Swapped in a larger charging wire and it helped a lot. Ended up switching to the new Holley Mid Mount SERP setup and now have 14.0v all day with everything running.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Thanks Chris. I will try upgrading that wire while I swap out horn relay. I might even try a second while alternator while I’m at it. If nothing else work I will order that adapter but I can get the Holley one at my parts store. I’ve emailed psi to see if that red wire was supposed to go elsewhere and if there was a resistor built in the harness and where. I’m going to order that plug Blitzer talked about.

Information on that alternator here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...or-wiring.html

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I searched 4 wire and didn’t come up with that. Should have searched c6 but who would have thought it would be different. I wonder if then there is enough resistance. I have an idiot light that does light up but the. Turns off once the engine starts. I will check what wire it is on. Would a 4 pin or 4 wire alternator from a truck be any different do you think? Psi doesn’t say anything about the alternator in their paper work. I bought the harness years ago from them. I can ask if there harness is set up for a c6 alternator.

Reading through that thread I would try the Holley pigtail with the single wire. The other end is connected to switched 12 volts, the pink wire.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The red wire that loops back is probably connected to the S terminal on the alternator. Connecting the S terminal that way will also work but it kind of defeats the purpose of the S terminal which is to sense the voltage at the end of the wire and have the alternator maintain the charging voltage at that point. It's better to maintain the charging voltage at the main distribution point not at the alternator.

If you have an alternator idiot light then the wire that goes to the exciter terminal on the alternator (which is the I or L terminal) is the wire that goes to this light. The light is on when you first turn on the key but will go out when the alternator starts to turn and generates its own voltage. The fact that your light is going off is a good sign and probably means that the exciter terminal is already connected properly.

Check the back of the alternator and see if the 4-pin connector has the letters printed on the alternator next to each terminal, I know mine did.

So it kind of sounds like your alternator is wired correctly and it actually works for a while but then fails. So it could still be a bad alternator or your drawing more power than the alternator can handle and it's going into thermal shutdown. This could happen if there was a partial short somewhere in the electrical system. You might try turning the key on engine off and measuring the current draw from the battery to confirm there is no short. Also check that the alternator is properly grounded to the battery ground. I think it probably is since you were measuring 11.42V at the alternator stud, unless you were using the alternator as your ground point when you took the measurement.

I contacted psi and they said the harness was sent out as a 2 wire plug. They knew it was a c6 so I don’t know what happened there. Somebody must have walked me through turning it into a 4 pin so I don’t know why we didn’t fix it then. They said the Holley plug wouldn’t work but I don’t know why. So my options are an alternator that has just a post and no wires, find an alternator that is two wires and would fit and change the plug or change the tune.

Hey Don and Blitzer thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
      Hey Don and Blitzer thanks for all the help.
      Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Don
      You helped me through everything possible. I’m almost ready to get a new harness and tune. I am making plans to get it to the tuner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com