Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone running cats?

Have a stroked LS3 in my Camaro that runs rich. Cant seem to "tune" it out.
      Would running a cat help? Also, getting ready to run a 480HP LS3 in my truck so would apply there also. Thanks

I have thought about it a ton of times! I had my AFR dialed in pretty well on the dyno and you still smell exhaust. They have really good high flow cats, I just need to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by sginphx View Post
      Would running a cat help? Also, getting ready to run a 480HP LS3 in my truck so would apply there also. Thanks
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

I've been running Walker highflow cats since about 2004-ish. I got tired of the exhaust smell getting on my clothes and crap like that. Also quieted down the exhaust a little which was an added benefit (at least I considered it a benefit... lol). Didn't notice any drop in power.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Dynatech metal-core cats

I'm building a '72 Olds 442 convertible and decided to go with dual cats to minimize the exhaust smell with the top down. I chose DynaTech cats because they have a high-flow, metal core that won't melt down like a ceramic core if they get too hot. I called Dynatech support and the tech said the cores have 300 cells per inch and will flow 396cfm each. He also said the metal cores will light-off more quickly than a ceramic core too. Should be enough flow to support 455cid @ 6000rpm. Here's a link:

https://www.dynatechheaders.com/stor...tic-converters
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by cdrod View Post
      I'm building a '72 Olds 442 convertible and decided to go with dual cats to minimize the exhaust smell with the top down. I chose DynaTech cats because they have a high-flow, metal core that won't melt down like a ceramic core if they get too hot. I called Dynatech support and the tech said the cores have 300 cells per inch and will flow 396cfm each. He also said the metal cores will light-off more quickly than a ceramic core too. Should be enough flow to support 455cid @ 6000rpm. Here's a link:

https://www.dynatechheaders.com/stor...tic-converters
      Thanks for the link. I have been contemplating this for a few years. Those look like a great way to go.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Country Flag: Canada
      I've always thought they were a good idea , look at the power levels the manufacturers are chucking at us now , all with cats
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by sginphx View Post
      If it's actually running too rich, adding cats will not solve that problem. Also, if it's running very rich, the cats may not last long.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Do you have O2 sensors on both exhaust branches or just 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      If it's actually running too rich, adding cats will not solve that problem. Also, if it's running very rich, the cats may not last long.
      Agreed! I was told not to run cats with a carburetor because the AFR range is too wide with a carb; so I decided to go with a throttle body EFI system. The AFR has to be very consistent for cats to work properly and survive. If the mixture is too rich, the platinum core will overheat and melt, destroying the cat. Ceramic core cats are much more susceptible to damage from overly rich AFRs than are metal core cats.
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Yes..running 2 O2 sensors. If I do...I for sure would use metal core over ceramic. Hard to believe more people haven't used them for feedback. Thanks for all the responses so far!

I plan on adding cats, but my engine burns a little oil and I need to solve that problem before adding them. Burning oil isn't good for catalytic converters either.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I really like the idea of running them. After I get my '55 dialed in and stable I will add them to it. I'm glad to hear that it's not that uncommon.

Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

On my E36 LS swap I added the spun cats after a year of driving only to cut down on the exhaust noise. Don't think you are going to get a way from gas smell with the cats. My TJ LS Swap and 68 C10 LS swap don't smell but they had a good quality chassis dyno tune. Neither has cats.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com