Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DSE master cylinder uses a 37 degree flare???

The directions I have for my DSE master/booster combo say to use a 37 degree inverted flare with the 3/16" line to metric fittings provided for the master cylinder lines. I'm confuse...is this a typo and should I be using a 45 degree double flare like the rest of my lines?
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Country Flag: United States
      The metric fittings you are talking about are just the flare nuts that come with the assembly, correct?

I believe that is a typo, I have never seen a 37* inverted flare fitting, seat, or tool to make one. I have never seen a 37* flare in any OEM application.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I talked to tech at DSE this morning and they didn't instill much confidence. Evidently, GM used a 37 degree flare on the C6 corvette master cylinders. He said they use a 37 double at their shop, but a 37 degree would be fine. Still questioning what flare to use. They send M12-1.0-3/16" fitting nuts with the kit, but I need to know what flare to use since I have to make my own lines to run from the master to my Wilwood proportioning valve.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Weird. I don't have an answer. Officially, the two flares are not interchangeable. Real world I have gotten away with it for fuel lines, using 45* on AN/JIC 37* fittings......never tried it on brake lines.

I went and looked at my flare tool and it will do 37* inverted/double flare, so I misspoke earlier.
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Weird. I don't have an answer. Officially, the two flares are not interchangeable. Real world I have gotten away with it for fuel lines, using 45* on AN/JIC 37* fittings......never tried it on brake lines.

I went and looked at my flare tool and it will do 37* inverted/double flare, so I misspoke earlier.

Thats odd, just installed my DSE master cylinder/booster a couple months ago and use my standard 3/16” brake line flaring tool with their provided fittings (same tool for the entire car). I Didn’t think twice about it and haven’t had any leaks. Shot down the drag strip and sped down the road course.....

i have never heard of a 37 degree double flare for brakes before. I would think if I flared the lines to 45 degree double flare and stuck it on a 37 degree cone, I would have had a serious leak.....

I don’t see why the corvette would be unique?? I would call “inline tube”

I think It’s a typo and the DSE tech doesn’t know...how can they say use one angle, but the other angle is oktoo?

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

It’s a tough google search...so it appears the 37 degree double flare is a Japanese standard. USA is 45 degree...I just find it hard to believe the brake lines are 3/16” (not metric), M12x1 and uses a Japanese standard 37 degree double flare? I just can’t find it in my self to think that’s accurate on a Chevy Corvette.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I thought that I ran across some info in my search this weekend that said that there are certain C6 vette master cylinders that use a 37 degree flare for the fitting at the master. I have a Rigid 37 degree single flare tool, but broke done and ordered a 37 degree double flare die for my Eastwood flare tool.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Quote Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
      I thought that I ran across some info in my search this weekend that said that there are certain C6 vette master cylinders that use a 37 degree flare for the fitting at the master. I have a Rigid 37 degree single flare tool, but broke done and ordered a 37 degree double flare die for my Eastwood flare tool.

Im curious as to the 100% answer...I’m no kidding using a 45 degree flare and no leaks.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I'm using Cu-Ni line and tried to make a 37 double flare by doing the first 2 steps in my 45 die, then placing the line in my 37 tool....it kind of worked, but why risk it or go through the time to bend up lines only to have them leak (my luck). There is info on the CorvetteForum that states that GM did use some different flare fittings for a run of the C6 Vettes. No one knows why. If you tightened the fitting enough, you may have pressed and sealed the flare as you tightened...especially if you are using soft line like Cu-Ni. The Tech guy I talked to at DSE put me on hold to talk to a guy in the fab shop about it and he concurred about using a 37 single or double flare on their builds.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Do you have the link by chance? I really didn’t tighten the fittings any tighter than I normally would. Maybe that’s why it seals? I guess I will leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
      I'm using Cu-Ni line and tried to make a 37 double flare by doing the first 2 steps in my 45 die, then placing the line in my 37 tool....it kind of worked, but why risk it or go through the time to bend up lines only to have them leak (my luck). There is info on the CorvetteForum that states that GM did use some different flare fittings for a run of the C6 Vettes. No one knows why. If you tightened the fitting enough, you may have pressed and sealed the flare as you tightened...especially if you are using soft line like Cu-Ni. The Tech guy I talked to at DSE put me on hold to talk to a guy in the fab shop about it and he concurred about using a 37 single or double flare on their builds.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Heck if I can find it now! Let me know if anyone gets you info on your thread in the Corvette forum.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

I just got a hold of Inline Tube, who I would regard as brake experts. They said there isn’t a 37 degree double flare application...lol.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I called DSE again and 2 guys confirmed that it is a 37 degree flare because the master is based off of a C6 vette (which used a 37 and not a 45 or a bubble flare). That's what I'm going with.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Isn't 37deg. the standard for -AN fittings ?

I used AN adapters on my calipers. If you go all AN should work great, and look nicer than regular brake fittings.

Yes, 37 degree single is also used for AN, but those lines usually operate at a much lower pressure (fuel lines, oil lines, etc). Double flares and bubble are standard for braking systems...I think there is a difference. I have AN fittings on my calipers that I attach the steel braided flex lines too as well, but I think the master cylinder is a different situation.....Kind of like I wouldn't compare the working pressure of the tubing and 37 degree fittings that I plumbed my fire suppression system with to that of my braking system....and if they would happen to leak a little it wouldn't be a big deal. Leaking break fittings would be a little more concerning.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Wish there was something online I could read. I trust DSE, but another expert would be nice to put this to bed.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I use AN 37*, single flare for brake lines all the time. Single flares use a separate tube sleeve to back up the flare, giving it strength.

With a double flare, you don't need the sleeve as the tube is flared upon it self, adding strength.
      Donny

I used a 37 degree single flare in a couple of my Wilwood Brake applications. Seemed to work fine.
      Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I use AN 37*, single flare for brake lines all the time. Single flares use a separate tube sleeve to back up the flare, giving it strength.

With a double flare, you don't need the sleeve as the tube is flared upon it self, adding strength.

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Wow! Hours! And I can’t find anything online about 37 degree inverted flares for brakes lines...let alone for a corvette.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

37 Deg Double Flare

How about this....
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com