• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Got anything on the corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by oleyeller View Post
      How about this....
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Name:  D9C32DFD-7150-4A5F-9E83-C3689F1ECA09.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  308.7 KBUsed 37 degree double flare...no leaks!
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Don’t know what to say...37 degree no leaks...me 45 degree and no leaks...did you use NICOPP?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Yes...Ni-Cu. I wonder if you can get by with the wrong flare because the line is soft and it forms a crush seal when you tighten down the line. I still think that a double 37 is the correct flare.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Is that a catch can on the passenger firewall, I can't tell how all the plumbing is on that one, is there manifold vacuum to it or is it just a breather?

Quote Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
      Yes...Ni-Cu. I wonder if you can get by with the wrong flare because the line is soft and it forms a crush seal when you tighten down the line. I still think that a double 37 is the correct flare.

I don’t. I just can’t...Considering every brake system in America uses 45 degree inverted or bubble. A few C6 cats are unique? I don’t buy it. I find it easier to believe you flare a line at 37 degrees and put it in a 45 degree seat and it the line will open up and seal. The opposite I don’t see happening so easily as you would need to close the opening on the line.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Where’s Tobin when we need him? I’d trust him to know the correct answer....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I don’t. I just can’t...Considering every brake system in America uses 45 degree inverted or bubble. A few C6 cats are unique? I don’t buy it. I find it easier to believe you flare a line at 37 degrees and put it in a 45 degree seat and it the line will open up and seal. The opposite I don’t see happening so easily as you would need to close the opening on the line.
      The C6 Corvette did have a 1-year only use of 37 degree master flares as far as everything I have found. For some reason GM went away from the bubble flare for that year. I tend to believe DSE as well. Frankly, I could give a crap now. My master doesn't leak with a 37 degree double flare and that is all I care about!
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

The C6 Corvette did have a 1-year only use of 37 degree master flares as far as everything I have found. For some reason GM went away from the bubble flare for that year. I tend to believe DSE as well. Frankly, I could give a crap now. My master doesn't leak with a 37 degree double flare and that is all I care about!
      for argument sake. The 09-13 corvette used the same MC, wouldn’t that mean 4 years it would have been different? If it wasn’t and one year was different if I had the one off year, bought a new MC I would have a problem. But no notes from anyone selling this MC mentioned a 37 degree flare.

Can you post the link to the info you found?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I would think that DSE would have a lot of high-end builds leaking brake fluid from the master cylinders if they were doing things wrong.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

The guys building the cars are not the guys on the phone. Perfect example is the issue with my rack fittings in the emergency room forum. I went ahead and contacted Tobin at Kore3, in-line tube, the company that makes Corvette line locks and neither if them support it. Still nothing on the Corvette Forum. Just weird. Not saying one way is right, I’m looking for info to support DSEs instructions. It’s a OEM part...cant be this hard.

I would think that DSE would have a lot of high-end builds leaking brake fluid from the master cylinders if they were doing things wrong.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I had the guy on the phone ask someone in the fab shop. Who knows....but again, I don't care since I am not seeing any leaks.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

37 deg AN fittings work on fighter aircraft,at least the ones I worked on, should work on your brakes ? Get an adapter and go to a 45 deg if it's not working for you ??

Metric Vs SAE Flares
      Metric double flare and SAE double flare fittings are constructed from the same principles but with different angles. Referring back to the schematic, SAE double flare uses a 45 degree angle:

JIS metric double flare, as used in Miatas and other Japanese-manufactured vehicles, employ a 37 degree angle.

The far right image on the above illustration shows an SAE double flare with a metric (M10x1.0) tube nut. This is not to be confused with a metric double flare with the same metric tube nut - the angle of the flare itself is critical for the junction sealing.

A proper flare junction uses the same flare type on both male and female ends. Cars like Miatas are configured like this from the factory: they employ M10x1.0 tube nuts and female JIS metric double flares on hard lines and male JIS metric double flares on soft lines.

Issue arise when one mixes SAE and metric fittings and fasteners in a single brake system, because in the US the SAE fittings and fasteners are more commonly available. Due to the differences in flare angles (45 vs 37 degrees), the junction of an SAE inverted flare and a metric inverted flare will not seal properly if tightened to normal specifications. However, if the tube nut is overtightened, eventually one of the ends will form the other end to the same angle, thus creating a seal. In my experience the female end of the hard line alters the male end of the soft line.

Because higher than normal force is required to squish the mismatching flare ends together, assembling a junction in this fashion increases the risk of rounding off the tube nut. Subsequent disassembly also carries increased risk of rounding off the tube nut as it was tightened to a higher than normal torque. Furthermore, as the shape of the tube itself is changed during assembly it is possible to reduce the size of the opening below the diameter of the tube, though I believe this to be rather unlikely given that the angle change is relatively small (8 degrees, from 45 to 37).

On the topic of tube nuts, if one uses SAE flared hard lines with SAE tube nuts the size of the tube nuts - 3/8" or 9.5 mm - is close to the 10 mm size of the metric tube nuts but not quite the same. Attempting to loosen SAE tube nuts with the metric 10 mm flare nut wrench, especially if the SAE nuts were overtightened to compensate for the flare angle difference, is likely to result in rounded off tube nuts during disassembly.

Huh???....you lost me/us. The facts: DSE says that the master employees a 37 degree flare and sends metric adapter nuts to use with a 3/16" line. I used a 37 degree double flare on my 3/16" Ni-Cu line and currently have no leaks and I didn't have to apply 100lbs of torque on the master nuts. Others have stated that they have used a 45 degree double flare on their lines and have had no leaks as well. We still have no definitive answers.
      Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      2013 Boss 302

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com