Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Trunk upholstery

After admiring other people’s trunks, I’ve decided to do my own. Bought the plans from Alien Enclosures and started the process a couple of weeks ago. Principally finished today and am quite pleased.

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TE...5DBDA.jpg.html

Cut the bottom out of ¾” plywood and the sides are ¼”

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TE...59C0D.jpg.html

Assembled the pieces outside the trunk, as they are self supporting.

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TE...3E9DB.jpg.html

A bit of cutting and adjusting was needed to fit the assembly in my trunk area.

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TE...BD008.jpg.html

Upholstered with ¼” foam and red perforated vinyl. Inserts are 1/32” carbon fiber sheets on ⅛” plywood backer.

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TE...F3CD4.jpg.html

http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/TE...97CF5.jpg.html
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

That looks great.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Great job

Sure took space out of your trunk though.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Carl, Agreed on the reduction in apparent space; however, the panels are readily removable (velcro holds the panels in place) and storage is available behind the panels on each end and behind the rear seat. I have a trunk mounted battery setup behind the passenger side of the rear seat, which is hidden by the new trunk panels.

All of it looks really good. I did something similar in my Camaro. I also used the velcro to hold the panels on. I can get to the back of mine easily as well. I also have a bottom panel that covers the "trap" door to the top of my gas tank if I need to do work on it without having to drop the tank. Good job on yours!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

How much were the plans? Sure wish you would have done 2 and sold me one

$87.35 with shipping. Couldn't have been much easier. Just cut out the patterns, trace around them on your plywood, and cut out the panels using your jig saw. A minor amount of adjusting on each panel was necessary to get the best fit. I still have my plans. Sell them to you for half price if you're interested.

Country Flag: Philippines
      Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
      $87.35 with shipping. Couldn't have been much easier. Just cut out the patterns, trace around them on your plywood, and cut out the panels using your jig saw. A minor amount of adjusting on each panel was necessary to get the best fit. I still have my plans. Sell them to you for half price if you're interested.

I will take you up on that offer! Im local too
      69 Camaro LS2, ridetech 4 link fikse wheels yada yada yada
      17 Grand Sport

PLANS! what plans... LOL

Carl Wilson

Where's your battery located?

Between the rear seat and the front panel of the new trunk upholstery, passenger side.

Between the rear seat and the front panel of the new trunk upholstery, passenger side.
      Any pics of the battery mounting setup you used for that?
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Need a photo Chad? Mine's on the upper trunk shelf, passenger side against the trunk divider.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Alien has a Pro-Touring Forum member discount code that has been extended through the end of the year: ae04017

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Need a photo Chad? Mine's on the upper trunk shelf, passenger side against the trunk divider.
      I think I've seen a pic of yours at some point? Each time I think about moving mine I measure it out and come up with it not fitting a full size optima battery. I'm also curious about supporting the bottom of the battery. Why type of plate is used and if any of the trunk floor is cut/modified to eliminate bumps.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com