Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      For such a populated area, am surprised how difficult it is to find stuff like this. Also looking for custom exhaust and differential shop I can trust.
      Give it time. The good shops in California are leaving the state. Unfortunately, most of them are going to Texas just like what JCG Custom & Restoration has done recently. I wish they would hurry up.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I have a guy on the east side that does good work out of his house. Not sure how custom he gets(IE full consoles, dashes and door panels etc) but I have had him install headliners and plan to have him do a rear seat for me. He does good work but hard to get on his schedule and a long drive for me.

I agree its been hard to find decent shops here in town. For such a large city we should be stacked with good places to use but instead we get alot of here today gone tomorrow half a** shops typically. For example I need an good exhaust shop I can trust to even leave my car at for the work let alone actually do good work! All I seem to find are hole in the wall places that barely speak English!

I do 99% of my own work and have made decisions on my build based on my skill level and budget just so I wouldn't have to relay on a shop to do the work but there are a few things I need to seek out like exhaust shops

Sounds like I need to get my new shop operational and take on outside work! I don't do upholstery, but I might have a solid solution for you guys there too.

I speak phenomenal English. ;)
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Sounds like I need to get my new shop operational and take on outside work! I don't do upholstery, but I might have a solid solution for you guys there too.

I speak phenomenal English. ;)
      There is a ton of work in town for anyone who is skilled, reliable and honest!

My theory about the situation here is that, because there's so much work here (and people willing to pay for it), shops can easily stay in business for a couple years without having to worry about repeat customers...once a reputation for poor work or poor business practices becomes inescapable, owner shuts down and either goes to jail, gets sued, leaves town, finds work at a different shop, or starts a new business. The other side of the story is that skilled, honest, reliable shops are in such high demand that their queue is quite long, and more often than not, you don't hear about them. These businesses can rely on repeat customers and customers who are in the loop.

I have unfortunately seen a number of shops fail due to craptastic (putting it nicely) work. And they deserve it for not putting their best foot forward. I said I wouldn't go work for another shop after I left that industry 9 years ago. Now I have this big shop for personal use and all my tools (and still can't stop myself from buying more) so it feels like I'm being pulled back in to do it for myself this time. I know a number of killer shops outside of AZ and they are backlogged with work for many months since quality is hard to find. So that further gets my brain thinking.

Everyone that has seen my truck, linked in my signature, is overall impressed. If I'm getting paid and it's someone else's then I'm going to try even harder (along with ever increasing experience). I'm also planning to have some locals over when the 'Rona restrictions are lifted so I'm open to chatting further with you guys.

I try to do as much as I can on my own, often with the help of friends, but there are some things I just can't tackle, and frustrating not to be able to find quality work locally. Anyways, I believe commented on a post you made in a tread about custom exhaust systems...I looked at your instagram, truck and other projects--nice! Definitely interested in connecting with you at some point. In fact, if you're ever in the Pima-Jomax area in N Scottsdale you're welcome to swing by and chat, see my cars and hobby shop.

Wow you're close by! My new place is at Happy Valley and 19th ave. Shoot me a message with your number and we can chat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I have unfortunately seen a number of shops fail due to craptastic (putting it nicely) work. And they deserve it for not putting their best foot forward. I said I wouldn't go work for another shop after I left that industry 9 years ago. Now I have this big shop for personal use and all my tools (and still can't stop myself from buying more) so it feels like I'm being pulled back in to do it for myself this time. I know a number of killer shops outside of AZ and they are backlogged with work for many months since quality is hard to find. So that further gets my brain thinking.

Everyone that has seen my truck, linked in my signature, is overall impressed. If I'm getting paid and it's someone else's then I'm going to try even harder (along with ever increasing experience). I'm also planning to have some locals over when the 'Rona restrictions are lifted so I'm open to chatting further with you guys.
      I have seen the same, especially in the diesel market. I used to work with a couple guys that had their own gig on the side and used their main job to skim work from. Overall lousy techs overall and just as lousy when they split off to do their own shops. They quickly flopped but not before screwing alot of people. This seems to happen more often then not here.

I had plans to start my own shop as well but other things materialized that was a better option for me at the time so I never got into having my own place. Simply having pride and knowing your reputation is on the line is enough motivation to put 100% into everything I do. More so if its a paying customer. I still do some diesel work on the side but its few and far between since my normal job, family and my own projects take up most of my time. I take pride in learning a new skill set of doing something new but sometimes there are things that need to be subed out ie body work, exhaust and some interior.

I like to network so we can never have too many good shops here in town!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com