Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best quality paint brand?

I have been looking to pick a color and paint brand. Looking at PPG and House of Kolor, but curious if there are better products out there to use? Looking at a gloss black, metallic black, or Atlas Grey by PPG. Anyone out there willing to share some knowledge here? Someone else I talked to said the like pro spray base with transtar clear🤷🏼*♂️

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Senek67RS View Post
      I have been looking to pick a color and paint brand. Looking at PPG and House of Kolor, but curious if there are better products out there to use? Looking at a gloss black, metallic black, or Atlas Grey by PPG. Anyone out there willing to share some knowledge here? Someone else I talked to said the like pro spray base with transtar clear🤷🏼*♂️
      SPI black single stage is an awesome black imho. Very deep and the blackest black. Two Goodguys winners:
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      SPI black single stage is an awesome black imho. Very deep and the blackest black. Two Goodguys winners:
      Thank you for the recommendation, couple of nice looking cars!

Thank you for the recommendation, couple of nice looking cars!
      They belong to Kevin, qnitro on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Transtar clear. ROFL....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      They belong to Kevin, qnitro on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Transtar clear. ROFL....

Don

Lol don’t kill the messenger. I was asking someone that I know that used to own a body shop and is a painter and that is what he said. I am no painter, that much I know. Haha

Don, do you know what other colors that SPI offers? I haven’t had much luck on their website. I know they offer a red similar to GM Torch Red. Do you know if they offer a Silver or Grey? Is there somewhere to be a paint chart from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave95Z28 View Post
      Don, do you know what other colors that SPI offers? I haven’t had much luck on their website. I know they offer a red similar to GM Torch Red. Do you know if they offer a Silver or Grey? Is there somewhere to be a paint chart from them?
      Pretty limited. The colors are listed on the price sheet. No grays.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/pricing

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

My advice from an age old body/painter (not me) is chose a color and manufacturer that can be replicated in the future when and not if you get that first scratch or rock chip.

Not sure if you have already chosen a paint brand yet, but I just used a paint brand called WANDA. You can choose any color you have seen on a car and the dristibutor can mix it for you. It is part of the AkzoNobel group. I used the above mentioned SPI primers and clears and used the Wanda basecoat, and the car came out gorgeous! SPI doesn’t have a lot of base colors, but their primers and clears are second to none on the market. I’ll try to post a pic of the car I just painted.

BASF Glasurit or PPG Deltron, IMHO.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Stay with a known brand, Axalta (Dupont), PPG, BASF, Spies, etc..
      What it really comes down to is what your painter is used to using. When they do shop change overs from different brands, takes the painters several days to weeks to get comfortable with shooting the different product, with lots of mistakes made in the learning curve. All products do not apply, lay, sand, etc, the same.
      Highly recommend you stay in the same product group from ground to the top.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by Phaster View Post
      Not sure if you have already chosen a paint brand yet, but I just used a paint brand called WANDA. You can choose any color you have seen on a car and the dristibutor can mix it for you. It is part of the AkzoNobel group. I used the above mentioned SPI primers and clears and used the Wanda basecoat, and the car came out gorgeous! SPI doesn’t have a lot of base colors, but their primers and clears are second to none on the market. I’ll try to post a pic of the car I just painted.
      Looking forward to the pics. We'll be working on the '69 Camaro right after we finished installing the brake kit and American racing wheels on the current truck project. Heard some good compliments before about Wanda and we need a wide options of paint color.

I have been looking to pick a color and paint brand. Looking at PPG and House of Kolor, but curious if there are better products out there to use? Looking at a gloss black, metallic black, or Atlas Grey by PPG. Anyone out there willing to share some knowledge here? Someone else I talked to said the like pro spray base with transtar clear����*♂️
      As an employee of PPG I have an obvious bias. But, ALL of the major 5 paint companies make and sell great products.

To me the question should be: "what supplier in my area will give me the best advise and support?" Any paint company is only as good as its distributor. The counter people are the first line of defense. I could suggest PPG products for obvious reasons. But if the distributor in the area doesn't give good sound support and have terrible customer service, or is hours away, well then I would suggest finding someone better.

If you have any technical questions on PPG products feel free to shoot me a PM. I will help as much as possible.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Glasurit is pretty pricey if thats what youre looking for.
      See what your painter loves to shoot. Its probably expensive and if they love it, your paint job should be very nice.
      Bring your painter something theyve never used or dont want to use.....best of luck.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com