Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Barret ProComp steelies, 1968 Firebird and 12" brakes?

Essentially can it be done? I have a more comprehensive build planned for following years but right now I just want to be able brake within a football field . Trying to smooth out some rough edges for regular driving while I have her now.

I'm looking at Barrett steelies in 15" with disc brakes. Is this possible? Or with there be no noticable difference in stopping quality?

Edit: Are 11" rotors are enough for daily driver braking on this heavy car?

thanks!!!

On my '67 there is the stock '69 and up disc brakes. IIRC, they are an 11" diameter disc with the single piston D52 calipers. Using 15" aluminum wheels from a '83(?) Firebird.

I'm happy with this setup.

Bob.

I would check out the Baer SS+4 system. I use it on my 67 daily driver Cougar.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The stock-type front 11" disc setup will be fine for daily driving or even autocross, especially if you make an educated pad selection based on your intended use.
      - Ryan

I checked the bolt pattern and they do sell the wheels for that pattern. And I'm happy that the 11" brakes will work so I'll talk to my mechanic about options so that I can get those in asap.

Considering lowering leaf springs and lowering springs and some other relatively cheap changes before I start my build next year.

Thanks a lot everyone

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com