Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ford f150 5.0 stand alone system question

Hey guys,
      I have a f100 project that we are getting ready to start.
      We are looking into using the 2011-2019 5.0 engine and what I am seeing so far is that the Mustang sourced engines are the only ones that can be used as stand alone with the Ford Performance control pack.
      Does anyone know of a plug and play control pack that will run the F150 based 5.0?

Thanks,
      Dan
      2,500th member!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by thinkfastroth View Post
      Hey guys,
      I have a f100 project that we are getting ready to start.
      We are looking into using the 2011-2019 5.0 engine and what I am seeing so far is that the Mustang sourced engines are the only ones that can be used as stand alone with the Ford Performance control pack.
      Does anyone know of a plug and play control pack that will run the F150 based 5.0?

Thanks,
      Dan
      Dan,

I wish I had more info, but I am not versed in the Coyote swaps. To be honest, I would like to learn. Is there a forum, similar to ls1tech, that has a lot of information about Coyote swaps?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply.

Ive been poking around the internet, watching a few YouTube videos and checking out multiple forums when I can.
      I had sort of started looking at forums for the F100 series trucks for swap info.

Factory Five has a forum specifically for swapping Coyote 5.0 that looks like it has a lot of info, just need time to go over it all.

Fat Fender Garage is building and marketing swap parts like motor and transmission mounts, radiators, headers and exhaust for the F100. More than likely I will end up using many of their components. In one of their videos on YouTube, Jason mentions sourcing engines from the F150 along with the Mustang. From what I gather, again from Fat Fender Garages videos, they are using Power By the Hour for 6R80 transmission control. I assume that they are using their system to control the engine also?
      I have not attempted to contact Power By the Hour yet to get information on how their product works.

Another YouTube poster mentioned F150 engines during his video. He went to PBH to purchase a replacement engine harness, which also had a body harness, transmission harness and what appeared to be an ECM. This helped me some because I could see what a package contained.

Most of the time it seems the swaps are more Mustang sourced engines and, until recently, were only able to be controlled by the Ford Performance Control Pack. This was what I would considered "simple" plug and play, there have been some using custom operating systems with full tunability. Several of the aftermarket companies like Holley and AEM
      are marketing harnesses and ecms. I am not sure if they are capable of F150 or are Mustang specific.

Supposedly the F150 engine has a different intake cam profile and not able to be run with the Ford Performance Control Pack. I think I saw something about the possibility of changing the tune on the Ford controller for the different cams.

I have no problems running a Mustang based engine and transmission in this project, I'm just trying to get info on what my options are.

Thanks,
      Dan
      2,500th member!

An option that I stumbled upon in the last couple weeks is Ron Francis Wiring. They have a stripped down wiring harness for 11-14 Coyotes and (at least for the Mustang stuff) they have PATS delete tunes so you can use the stock computer. If you are up to the challenge you can strip down the stock wiring harness and save a fair amount of money. I haven't used their stuff so I can't comment on quality or how they are to work with but it is an option to look into.

I am also quite certain that Holley will be releasing their Terminator X system for the Coyote engine at some point, soon.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

What we are leaning toward, once we are ready, is to use one of the latest model "pallet" style kits.
      I have already been promised by a friend who is a Ford tech that does all of the trouble shooting on the Mustangs, access to all of the manuals and data that he has.
      I really haven't had much more time to spend on the swap info due to other priorities.

Andrew, I have glanced at the Holley Ford Coyote TI-VCT HP EFI kits, are those similar to the Terminator series for the LSx engines?

Later,
      Dan
      2,500th member!

Dan,

The TerminatorX and X Max are new kits just for LS engines. But as I said, I have good reason to believe that Holley will make these systems available for Coyote and Gen 3 Hemis.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

As an update to this thread:

Power by the Hour https://pbhperformance.com/ offers a modified Ford Performance control pack harness that is compatible with the F-150 version of the coyote. The MAF sensor is deleted in the F-150 version.

Also, Holley released the Terminator X Max kits to control Coyote motors.

https://www.holley.com/brands/holley...x_coyote_kits/

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I am also quite certain that Holley will be releasing their Terminator X system for the Coyote engine at some point, soon.

Andrew

Andrew,
      Do you have any inside information on whether Holley is working on a release for the gen 3 coyote?

Brian P

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com