Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

power probe tool ??

Anyone have experience with one of those Power Probe tools ?? Getting ready to start reassembly on my 67 Bird and this thing looks like it could come in handy.

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

I have one and consider it a must have for any electrical work. It is perfect for troubleshooting as well.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

I may be the only person in the world that thinks they are dumb. That stems from the fact that people who don't understand electricity have them, use them wrong, and chase their tail trying to diagnose simple electrical issues.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

They are a great time saver if you know how to use them and understand electrical. Best tool in the world for checking mini fuses packed close together in late model fuse boxes/TIPM's. I do a lot of drivability and electrical diag on late model cars, and it, as well as my DVOM, are definitely my go to tool for quick diagnostics on some types of circuits. This is where understanding electrical and how the particular circuit you are testing works.
      With that said, on older cars, with everything being analog 12v circuits, I'd say you'd be fine using it without too much fear of "messing" anything up. It has a built in circuit breaker to keep you relatively safe!
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Very good tool to have. It makes troubleshooting components much easier, particularly when you can provide power and ground to devices not connected to the car in any way. The circuit breaker is nice in case you make a mistake. Far and away exceeds using a test light and that's all I have done for many years.

I like them so much I have given them as gifts on multiple occasions.

Power Probe 3 or 4 are most useful tool in my electrical arsenal at work. I have had a 3, sold it and got 4, sold it and now have new 4 with the open/short finder kit also. Works well on finding bad wiring in bundles.
      One small issues but you just slide it back in is the circuit breaker will slip out of socket in side. Remove back cover slide it back in and your back in business.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

HAve used it a few time. VERY nice tool to have.
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com