Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Best Clutch for LSA

Looking for some input on a clutch / flywheel for my LSA build - T-56 Magnum trans, quick time bellhousing. I need the whole set-up, including flywheel and TOB. The LSA will be warmed over a bit, mostly street driving, occasional auto-cross. Looks like the McCleod dual-disc gets a lot of thumbs up?? Thoughts??

Used to be known as classiccamaro

Anyone have experience with the McCloed twin disc RST clutch/flywheel and fitment in a QUicktime bellhousing?? Searched a bunch of threads, and it would seem that the RST is a great choice Any thoughts?

We've used the RST in many applications, works great.

However you need to get the one that specifies for aftermarket, NOT the CTSV specific one.
      PN is 6405807 with a steel flywheel.

It fits within a regular aluminum bell or the quicktime.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      We've used the RST in many applications, works great.

However you need to get the one that specifies for aftermarket, NOT the CTSV specific one.
      PN is 6405807 with a steel flywheel.

It fits within a regular aluminum bell or the quicktime.

-Dale

Thanks Dale! I appreciate the input / advise........Love your work!!

I use the RXT, good clutch so far. Much better than the Monsters I was using. I know brands like centerforce and others have triple disc! Very expensive, but I’m sure awesome pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
      Looking for some input on a clutch / flywheel for my LSA build - T-56 Magnum trans, quick time bellhousing. I need the whole set-up, including flywheel and TOB. The LSA will be warmed over a bit, mostly street driving, occasional auto-cross. Looks like the McCleod dual-disc gets a lot of thumbs up?? Thoughts??
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Can you use the stock LS7 style clutch in this application (LSA)? Just curious because I am considering putting one on my already installed LS3/magnum that has a LS7 clutch.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I ran the Mcleod RST and i liked it. Pedal feels like stock, and after about 500 miles the engagement was smooth. It had a very slight chatter when first installed. I would not hesitate to run it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      I ran the Mcleod RST and i liked it. Pedal feels like stock, and after about 500 miles the engagement was smooth. It had a very slight chatter when first installed. I would not hesitate to run it again.
      good to know..... just ordered the RST. Thanks for the input

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      Can you use the stock LS7 style clutch in this application (LSA)? Just curious because I am considering putting one on my already installed LS3/magnum that has a LS7 clutch.
      I have the LS7 clutch in my 69 with an LS408....works gtreat. I think this clutch would not be able to hold the added torque of the LSA....

I personally wouldn’t use the LS7 clutch in anything other than a stock application. These clutches although nicely priced and have worked fine, are not suited to hold big horsepower and take abuse. The thing about clutches is to hold the HP you need a very aggressive clutch lining or heavy clamp loads. This results in aggressive engaging and hard pedals. This is why dual and triple disc are superior. With these clutches you drastically increase the friction area this doesn’t require aggressive materials and high clamp loads. This provides the smooth, stock feeling clutch but can hold 1000hp.

After my experiences with puck and similar single disc set-ups, I will never go back. The “on-off” engagement, the chatter, the squeal noise...

Quote Originally Posted by DKz Garage View Post
      good to know..... just ordered the RST. Thanks for the input

- - - Updated - - -

I have the LS7 clutch in my 69 with an LS408....works gtreat. I think this clutch would not be able to hold the added torque of the LSA....
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I wouldn't recommend it.
      You could also look into other single discs with higher torque capacity, such as Ram. Might be a little cheaper than the RST.. But if you ever wanted more power the RST would hold up to more torque.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com