Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: LS blocks

LS blocks

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question or if it’s been answered before but I’m trying to figure out if/and/or which LS engine blocks are the same as in overall mount up / size?
      my problem is I originally had a cracked LS7 block to mock up my engine and trans set up. The shop that had my car supposedly finished all the trimming and whatever they needed to fabricate the new firewall for my car. I picked up the empty block and trans took them home sold the block. That was about 2 years ago. Fast forward to present times I’m frustrated and want my car back since that shop hasn’t done anything with it and now I have a car with my firewall FML!! So I now need a mock up block and trans. I have the bare case trans but need a block. So my question really is can I find an old blown up LS2/LS3/LS1/LQ? To install in the mean time for the mock up cut and trim and install of the firewall panel?? I do have a short block LS7 that’s being built for the car but don’t want to install it because of the weight and ease of shifting the block around. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 232_ray View Post
      Sorry if this seems like a stupid question or if it’s been answered before but I’m trying to figure out if/and/or which LS engine blocks are the same as in overall mount up / size?
      my problem is I originally had a cracked LS7 block to mock up my engine and trans set up. The shop that had my car supposedly finished all the trimming and whatever they needed to fabricate the new firewall for my car. I picked up the empty block and trans took them home sold the block. That was about 2 years ago. Fast forward to present times I’m frustrated and want my car back since that shop hasn’t done anything with it and now I have a car with my firewall FML!! So I now need a mock up block and trans. I have the bare case trans but need a block. So my question really is can I find an old blown up LS2/LS3/LS1/LQ? To install in the mean time for the mock up cut and trim and install of the firewall panel?? I do have a short block LS7 that’s being built for the car but don’t want to install it because of the weight and ease of shifting the block around. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

All GM factory LS blocks are the same dimensionally.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: Canada
      Ok so I was 90 percent sure that was the case but, was afraid to answer . I was afraid some keyboard warriors would slaughter me lol ... although I'm sure the ls4 fwd is a little different but it's the evil step child that nobody likes lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Yup both of the above guys are correct if you needed reassurance!

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Country Flag: Canada
      Oh god right 2 times in one day ... I'm done ...gimmie a beer . Thanks Dale
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I'll also say that the plastic mock-up blocks are FANTASTIC for this exact purpose. You can usually find someone selling one used or that will "rent" it to you. If you are just trying to get the basic mounts done with minimal hassle it's the nicest option. Everything is designed to bolt on, including a transmission.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Glad you were able to get your question answered, I know it can be hit and miss on forums.

Quick question, where are you getting your LS7 built? I have a LS7 that I spun a bearing on and need to look into having someone rebuild it. Also if you don't mind sharing the cost of the rebuild, that would be good so that I know what I am potentially getting into.

Thanks
      1969 Camaro
      LSX 454
      Boze Autocross 18x9 front 19X10 rear
      Marquez full interior
      Recaro seats
      TCI front clip
      TCI rear torque arm suspension
      Currie F9 9" rear
      Willwood 6 piston calipers front
      Willwood 4 piston calipers rear
      Ididtit push button start steering column
      E-Stopp electronic e-brake

Well I bought a built short block from another member from this forum but lost the paper work/details. Was going to have a friend run thru it and finish building it. So dat I’m in it about 8k with a set of heads I night and had west coast cylinder heads re port them and put them together

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com