Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Repairs on quarter panels, full skin or small patches?

I'm in the midst of rust repairs on my '68 Firebird. The driver's quarter panel had some collision damage hidden under body filler on the upper wheelwell and rust in the typical lower rear area. I've measured off and cut out the affected areas. I have a full quarter skin I can cut these patches from but I've been reading about weld lines becoming visible under the paint and it's got me concerned. I'm wondering if I'm best leaving as much original metal as possible or having one big clean piece of metal across the side and welding close to the top edge?

The outer wheel housing has some collision damage and rust down low in the rear, too. I'm planning to replace the full outer while installing my DSE mini-tubs. I also have a trunk drop-down panel as I suspect that'll at least need some patching.

Any thoughts on patches vs full skin on the quarter? Thanks!
      Attached Images Attached Images        

I personally dont like having a quarter welded on the line, i did my own full quarter panel replacement and its a big task, I prefer doing small patches like you have here. Its faster

Country Flag: Canada
      All depends how good of a body man and painter you have
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      You should be able to planish your welds with the tubs out so you should be ok imho.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I was just reading up on weld planishing. Will do, thanks!

Kind of like said above my 68 Firebird had similar problems. My body guy said full quarters were the only way to go. More work no doubt but the end result will be worth the extra work. No possible "ghost" paint lines at a later date. No varying layers of body filler to cover the welding seams. Also it's a great time to get the best door to quarter panel gap.

Done properly there should be very little filler and no ghosting imho. The secret is planishing the welds and good metal finishing techniques.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

If your comfortable with doing lead work (or trying) I would do the indention's where welded with it.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      If your comfortable with doing lead work (or trying) I would do the indention's where welded with it.
      Shouldn’t be any indentations if done properly. Repair should be barely visible.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

IF ... done correctly ...and if not ...you got sh#! Soup to eat. Yes anything is possible . Most body men will recommend a full panel what you spend in the extra cost of the panel you almost always save in the not having to finish a patch work quilt of a quarter .

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

OP was not considering a full factory style quarter. His other option was a quarter skin and the resulting seam the length of the quarter....

I’ve done it all ways, depends on the car and situation. I can tell you I’ll patch a factory fender or door before I’ll use a repop part.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

DHutton is right. I already have full quarter skins I bought years ago. This build is somewhat limited on budget and I'm looking for a driver, not a SEMA car. I'm going to give this smaller patch a go and planish the welds.

Eh, what does Don know, he only has 2 best in class show winners done for a customer in the past year or so----- In gloss black.

Seriously though, it would be good if you had a few decently large scraps of 20 gauge sheet metal parts to practice on a little first. Metal can be stretched & shrunk as needed to modify shape & or deal with damage or warpage from welding it, but it's not an easy skill to become great at.

I have bought all kinds of sheetmetal, floors, trunk pans and wheel wells for patches. I would say start on any of those areas first if needed its great practise and doesnt need to be perfect by the time you get to the body panels you should be able to do them with little filler

Whoa let's back up just a touch here .. guys I'm not saying that Don doesnt know what he is or isnt talking about , im repeating what I was told . If there is multiple patches on one panel usually your labour cost and patch costs will be very close and sometimes more than a full panel being installed . Each car and case is different. If welds dont have access to the back side this can change lots of things as far as fitting and finishing . I'm thinking about my chevelle to me it's better to replace the whole quarter over possibly having a 5 foot seam that could be a real pain in the ass to finish . Sorry if this come across wrong or ride but, I felt like I needed to clear the air
      Again let me be clear , I'm not saying Don doesnt know what hes talking about

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Whoa let's back up just a touch here .. guys I'm not saying that Don doesnt know what he is or isnt talking about , im repeating what I was told . If there is multiple patches on one panel usually your labour cost and patch costs will be very close and sometimes more than a full panel being installed . Each car and case is different. If welds dont have access to the back side this can change lots of things as far as fitting and finishing . I'm thinking about my chevelle to me it's better to replace the whole quarter over possibly having a 5 foot seam that could be a real pain in the ass to finish . Sorry if this come across wrong or ride but, I felt like I needed to clear the air
      Again let me be clear , I'm not saying Don doesnt know what hes talking about
      I certainly didn’t take it that way. And I’m not an expert despite a couple of successes. I agree a full quarter is better than a skin. But if your option is a couple of patches or a skin I will usually choose patches, especially in lower rear quarters. Repop quarters don’t usually just drop on and generally have issues that require additional effort.

Nice thing about DIY installation of patches is it really helps you improve your skills as noted above. Worst case scenario you install a full quarter or skin if it doesn’t work out.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Ryan, I wasn't saying anything either, all good here. Was actually picking at Don a little, because I know he's humble & has had to struggle with bodywork like the rest of us, but has had some good outcomes from it. Intended humor doesn't always come off the same on the internet as in person.
      I also know what a pain it can be patching in on a quarter panel in place, particularly if you don't have backside access. But every situation is different.
      Repop panels definitely have their share of issues, such as not lining up correctly with door panels for instance, so I have to agree with patching originals when they aren't too bad off.

Ahhh crap look at all of us having a love fest lol no problem guys , guess I took it wrong and I'm glad nothing was intended from it . Cheers all and best of luck to the o.p love to see how things work out for you once done

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com