Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Whats your camaro rear 9 inch setup? need help with measurements.

I’ll be buying a strange rear end for my 67 camaro, but I will be buying the rear end before the wheels, my car is mini tubbed and I will be welding the detroit speed quadralink brackets. I called detroit speed to ask whats their usual axle length the rep said 54.5 axle face to axle face, with 1/2 inch towards the driver side. I want to know what setup you are running, what length and measurements you have on that rear end. Thanks for the help

Country Flag: United States
      Alot comes into play - not as simple as you might think. Need to take everything in to account before making you decision on axle length. You will need to know what brand and size brakes you will be running for clearances for example plus the look you are going for - narrower for a deeper dish on the wheel and naturally wider for a shallow dish. There is no right answer as it is all personal preference. You will have to do your homework and work backward from your tire size, wheels, backspacing and brakes.
      '68 Chevy Camaro Pro-tour ~ project DMENTD
      '57 Chevy 3100 Pro-tour pickup ~ under construction

Might I suggest working wiht a supplier who'll give you a bit of technical support. I recently ordered one from SC&C, Mark was fantastic about educating me on things I had not realized. He started asking more qualitative questions than quantitative ones. As the above poster mentioned, there are a lot of factors. And I thought I knew all I needed to know, too. FWIW, I talked to four different places, and none of the rest of them delved into what Mark did. I'm sure there are other vendors who are as meticulous, I'm just relaying an example I had with one.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

as stated above, there's so many variables, I thought I put enough thought into it and now I'm considering doing it all again, I went 53"wms to wms with 19x12" wheels with 5.25" backspace and now I find myself wanting them another inch wider. if you find a car on here that you think is perfect, or better yet, a Detroit speed car, you could mimic it exactly.

I don't know precisely what they mean by "axle face". Around here we refer to the wheel mount surface or WMS which is the actual final surface the wheel will be in contact with when it is finally bolted to the axle. Just a recommendation here, if you are buying a complete new axle buy a full floater axle. They are not any more expensive then a conventional axle with flange but they are much better for cornering. That said, you really need to buy your wheels/tires first and mock them up under the car where you want them then measure the exact distance between the wheel mounts. That said, I'm running a Moser 9" floater which measures 57" WMS to WMS.

Name:  camaro130112 001.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  169.4 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Thanks

I used DSEs specs. I was gonna have Moser do the housing, but let DSE do it do nobody screwed it up.

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com