Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Old School car purchase thread around $30k. Advice or opinions appreciated

Well I figured I’ll start a thread on “making my first Old School car purchase” instead of making another post on every car that interests me on the internet. I’d rather just keep it all on the same thread... Last week I passed on the blue ‘67 Firebird from LA. Kinda feeling some regret. It was pretty bad ass and clean inside/out. Not sure why I hesitated, I liked it a lot. $25.5k seemed like a deal considering everything it had. IDK, maybe I’m being too picky/patient, but it is after all the first time I’ll be buying an old car. My search goes on...

This $30k ‘68 Skylark looks like a lot of what I want already done to it. I’m waiting to see more pictures. What y’all think?

Original ad

That looks like a good deal to me. Be sure it checks at least most of your wants and desires boxes.

Country Flag: United States
      I think you should list the car options your interested in. Seems like your unsure of what you actually want. A skylark and firebird are way two different cars.

What is your end goal?
      What are you trying to accomplish?
      Are you just wanting a muscle car just because?
      Are any of these cars a dream car?
      Think about resale value.
      Are these an impulse buy just to get a muscle car to drive?

Ahmad
      Ahmad B.

My one piece of advice is if you're going to drop that kind of cash on a car then be sure it's the car you're really passionate about.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I think you should list the car options your interested in...A skylark and firebird are way two different cars.
      Agree! It might also help to spend some time with and driving different cars to see what you prefer. I have a friend who was in a similar position as you and purchased a 72 Camaro because he liked how it looked and was a good deal. Turned out he hated the long doors and getting into and out of the car. He traded it for a 70 GTO and couldn't be more happy. I also have a friend who went in the opposite direction--started with a 442 and replaced it with a 73 Firebird. I guess part of the fun of the car hobby is experiencing different cars, but if your plan is to have only one old school car, and to put some money into it and keep it for a while, I'd suggest investing some time to make sure it's something that will work for you.

Before I opened this thread, I was thinking "68-72 BOP base A-Body"....i.e. Skylark, Cutlass, or LeMans. That's the best way to get a lot of car for your money. But as others have stated, be sure it is what you really want. You'll never build one for a fraction of that.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

For me this is not just an impulse buy, nor would it be my dream car by any means with only $30k lol! I’ve loved old school cars since I was a little kid. We’ve had a few in the family growing up (‘67 Mustang, ‘68 Firebird, ‘70 Cougar, ‘70 Mustang, ‘73 Camaro, ‘73 Mustang, and a ‘79 Camaro), but all were pretty much stockers... In the 90’s I got the Fox Body bug and that’s all I’ve been tinkering with ever since and still own one... Nowadays I see all these old cars being built up really nice to drive like modern performance cars, and that’s what really got me interested even more so. And oh yes, no more having to deal with the smog BS! I really don’t have a favorite make/model as I’ve always liked too many of them. Just not into the long body styles that look more low-riderish/cruiser.
      Now I won’t be auto crossing, but I do want a muscle car that’s good for some spirited driving up in the foothills, not just the drag strip. In the end this would be my “Want to have list”
      -Nicely painted, rust free body
      -Built motor with at least 300+RWHP
      -Manual 5 or 6 speed
      -Beefier aftermarket suspension
      -Bigger disc brakes all around
      -A/C
      If I find a car that has all of these things that would be great, but not having all wouldn’t be a deal breaker either as I can always do the upgrades and swaps I want later on down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
      For me this is not just an impulse buy, nor would it be my dream car by any means with only $30k lol! I’ve loved old school cars since I was a little kid. We’ve had a few in the family growing up (‘67 Mustang, ‘68 Firebird, ‘70 Cougar, ‘70 Mustang, ‘73 Camaro, ‘73 Mustang, and a ‘79 Camaro), but all were pretty much stockers... In the 90’s I got the Fox Body bug and that’s all I’ve been tinkering with ever since and still own one... Nowadays I see all these old cars being built up really nice to drive like modern performance cars, and that’s what really got me interested even more so. And oh yes, no more having to deal with the smog BS! I really don’t have a favorite make/model as I’ve always liked too many of them. Just not into the long body styles that look more low-riderish/cruiser.
      Now I won’t be auto crossing, but I do want a muscle car that’s good for some spirited driving up in the foothills, not just the drag strip. In the end this would be my “Want to have list”
      -Nicely painted, rust free body
      -Built motor with at least 300+HP
      -Manual 5 or 6 speed
      -Beefier aftermarket suspension
      -Bigger disc brakes all around
      -A/C
      If I find a car that has all of these things that would be great, but not having all wouldn’t be a deal breaker either as I can always do the upgrades and swaps I want later on down the road.
      You need to figure out what cars move you, nothing sucks more than spending all you money on a car just to figure out later its not the one that moves your soul. Attend all car shows, events, play video games with classic cars, watch car chase movies etc, join classic car groups on Facebook so you can see everything that is out there and find the one before you go and spend your money on something you may regret.
      Kacy
      79 Corvette, 406 SBC, Holley EFI, 700R4

Appreciate all the advice folks. Thanks!

Been talking to the Skylark’s owner. Here’s some details and pictures of what I got so far. Undercarriage is super clean! You can tell how anal this guy is Only has 350 miles on it since finished. He says there’s few minor things to work on like the stereo, interior lights, and an alignment. I’m still waiting for more exterior pics. Think he’s gonna take her out and wash her first. I’d like to see more of that Corvette Cyber Metallic Grey paint. He says there are a few small blemishes on top of the drivers fender, which we can work out. Also, will send bodywork/prep pics as soon as he gets them from his painter’s flash drive... Looks like alota bang for the buck!? What y’all think?

Got some more body pics. Looks pretty nice I must say

Updates? Did you pull the trigger?
      1969 Cougar XR-7 with lots of Maier pieces.

I don't particularly care for the body style, but it seems like a pretty decent deal.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Haven’t picked it up yet. Our schedules with work and families keep clashing lol! I got some more build up pics though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      Agree! It might also help to spend some time with and driving different cars to see what you prefer. I have a friend who was in a similar position as you and purchased a 72 Camaro because he liked how it looked and was a good deal. Turned out he hated the long doors and getting into and out of the car. He traded it for a 70 GTO and couldn't be more happy. I also have a friend who went in the opposite direction--started with a 442 and replaced it with a 73 Firebird. I guess part of the fun of the car hobby is experiencing different cars, but if your plan is to have only one old school car, and to put some money into it and keep it for a while, I'd suggest investing some time to make sure it's something that will work for you.
      I sure do love them 2nd gen split bumpers, but with me getting closer to 50 and heavier the Lark just might be the better fit lmao!

Well we finally drove out there and picked her up! Got stuck in quite a bit of traffic in a few spots. Took us 14 hours with a couple of rest stops, gas, and food. Before test driving we inspected thoroughly underneath while she was on the lift. Everything is new. It’s basically a better than brand new upgraded Skylark. Only 460 miles on the clock so I didn’t get into it very hard. Drives and sounds really nice! The owner/builder was super cool too. Gave me some extra misc. parts, car cover, dusters, chemicals, and a 4” thick binder with all the paperwork/receipts that went into the car. Told me “Do me a favor. Don’t ever add everything up in this binder and tell me the amount. I don’t ever wanna know!” LMAO!
      After checking out a few cars, being patient, and talking to the owner for the last 3 months with tons of questions, I’m really happy with my first old school purchase. I feel like I really got a lot of car for my money...
      It was hella funny driving home. Every gas station was a conversation. Got a bunch of “Is that a Chevelle?” One thought “GTO?” Haha love it!

Wow! that looks like a sweet car.

I like seeing something different at the shows,I'd stop and check that out for sure.
      Have fun!

It really is man. Got a sweet ass deal for sure! Snapped up a few pics while we were there checking her out.

Goodbye Washington!

Finally home! Damn that was a long ass drive with hardly any sleep! Well worth it IMO

It looks like you got a fantastic car for a great price and it's not what everybody else has.

1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com