Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ideas...How to Shift a 4L80E

I am building a 2wd 71 GMC Jimmy, Supercharged 408, 4L80E transmission. I have a similar setup in a 61 truck and one thing I find frustrating is that both vehicles are column shift, its very difficult to manually shift the column shifter. I then decided I would like to take a look into paddle shifters, but It's my understanding the stock PCM (2002 Truck LQ4) will not work with a paddle shifter, my tuner suggested to stay away from an aftermarket trans controller due to the cam and stall I am running, (they will not be able to communicate with each other) At that point I started taking a look at electronic paddle shifters but If I went that route I would have to change my column because we would have to eliminate the column shifter. Does anyone know of any options I have not mentioned?
      1965 442 "Project Old Mobile"

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by real57vetteguy View Post
      I am building a 2wd 71 GMC Jimmy, Supercharged 408, 4L80E transmission. I have a similar setup in a 61 truck and one thing I find frustrating is that both vehicles are column shift, its very difficult to manually shift the column shifter. I then decided I would like to take a look into paddle shifters, but It's my understanding the stock PCM (2002 Truck LQ4) will not work with a paddle shifter, my tuner suggested to stay away from an aftermarket trans controller due to the cam and stall I am running, (they will not be able to communicate with each other) At that point I started taking a look at electronic paddle shifters but If I went that route I would have to change my column because we would have to eliminate the column shifter. Does anyone know of any options I have not mentioned?

I'm not sure what reasoning is being used to discourage you from an aftermarket transmission controller, but there's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work for what you're doing. Doesn't matter what cam or stall you have they can be programmed to work exactly the way you need them to. The majority of 4L80e transmissions we build are behind all different kinds of LS engines with aftermarket controllers. If you need some help sorting it out give me a call sometime. 618-943-4856

visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com