Country Flag: United States

Default stepping out of my zone, whats the differnece between manual and boost assit brakes?

Hey guys, I bought this car below, and its set up with a Manual brakes, I want to add a Hydra-boost as the subframe/gage brace gets in the way of a typical Booster..But than I though about it, what the difference between all the various set ups.. and does any recommend a Hydra-boost?

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=30588

Personally I am a manual brakes fan. When set up correctly they provide the same stopping power as assisted brakes and keep the engine bay looking clean. I have heard that hydra-boost can cause problems when turning and heavy on the brakes. I don't have any experience with that system though, looked into it once but didn't want to have to change my reservoir on my serpentine setup and have a mess of ugly lines.

I chose not to use the hydroboost that came on the LQ9 because it requires the steering pump to maintain a volume flow that decreases sensitivity in the steering, and steering feel is what I've been chasing now for a while(by reducing flow).

This week I am installing a 1 1/4 Mc with a C6 dual 9'' booster. I am doing this because my current pedal travel with the 1/8th is too much for me to effectively(read: at all) heal toe on track. The brake feel is also vaugue-ish and I can lock em up with just a little more effort than than my ankle(yes I'm big boned).

So, while I don't know if it's what I'm trying to get(should know next week), I'm hoping that I am trading more leg force for less travel. For reference, I am using D52 calipers up front and D154 calipers in back with Wilwood BP-20 pads.

There is a staggering amount of info this thread "Brake sizing and selection tutorial featuring Ron Sutton and Tobin of KORE3". The maths I learned from that thread say I should be heading in the right direction, we shall see. Hope this helps some.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
    Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
    FAYS2 Watts link
    Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Not really. If properly designed you won’t need more leg force than a similar brake package with booster. What you will have is more pedal travel. Assuming you use a manual friendly ratio in the 6.x range

1971 Camaro - 406
    2016 Camaro SS convertible
    2018 Colorado 4x4