Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

stepping out of my zone, whats the differnece between manual and boost assit brakes?

Hey guys, I bought this car below, and its set up with a Manual brakes, I want to add a Hydra-boost as the subframe/gage brace gets in the way of a typical Booster..But than I though about it, what the difference between all the various set ups.. and does any recommend a Hydra-boost?

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=30588

Personally I am a manual brakes fan. When set up correctly they provide the same stopping power as assisted brakes and keep the engine bay looking clean. I have heard that hydra-boost can cause problems when turning and heavy on the brakes. I don't have any experience with that system though, looked into it once but didn't want to have to change my reservoir on my serpentine setup and have a mess of ugly lines.

I chose not to use the hydroboost that came on the LQ9 because it requires the steering pump to maintain a volume flow that decreases sensitivity in the steering, and steering feel is what I've been chasing now for a while(by reducing flow).

This week I am installing a 1 1/4 Mc with a C6 dual 9'' booster. I am doing this because my current pedal travel with the 1/8th is too much for me to effectively(read: at all) heal toe on track. The brake feel is also vaugue-ish and I can lock em up with just a little more effort than than my ankle(yes I'm big boned).

So, while I don't know if it's what I'm trying to get(should know next week), I'm hoping that I am trading more leg force for less travel. For reference, I am using D52 calipers up front and D154 calipers in back with Wilwood BP-20 pads.

There is a staggering amount of info this thread "Brake sizing and selection tutorial featuring Ron Sutton and Tobin of KORE3". The maths I learned from that thread say I should be heading in the right direction, we shall see. Hope this helps some.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Not really. If properly designed you won’t need more leg force than a similar brake package with booster. What you will have is more pedal travel. Assuming you use a manual friendly ratio in the 6.x range
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

My 83 el camino came factory with hydroboost & had large gm worktrucks with that setup before. They can give the feel of stronger clamping power & are great for a low vacuum engine, such as a diesel or big cam old school engine or even late model big cam setup.
      The factory gm units definitely don't have pretty plumbing. If you have proper return flow, it will minimize the issue of using turning & hard brakes at same time.
      For a high performance street car, I'd do hydroboost again. A mostly track car, doubt anyone would.

Look into ABS Brake Co. 's "Electric Hydroboost set up.

KISS! A manual brake system is as simple as you can get and when properly designed it will be every bit as effective as any boosted brake system. A manual brake system is also more reliable simply because there are fewer parts to fail.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      KISS! A manual brake system is as simple as you can get and when properly designed it will be every bit as effective as any boosted brake system. A manual brake system is also more reliable simply because there are fewer parts to fail.
      Effective....yes, but with a much different feel, as I am finding out!

Joe
      1969 Firebird Project
      1967 Frirebird 400 convertible
      2013 Boss 302

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com