Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Double check me on my oil cooling setup

I'd like to be double checked on my oil cooling setup, primarily that my temps are what they should be. This is on my street driven road racing car, I live in the CA desert and my track is Willow Springs.

Engine > AMSoil oil filter & bypass filter setup > 205F oil thermostat > Derale oil cooler with fans set to come on @215F and off @210F > engine.

Considering all of the feet of AN line involved, I'm presuming the oil at the engine will be consistently at/above the magic 212F Redline recommends to easily remove combustion byproducts, the moisture and fuel with this temp setup.

My fan controller is adjustable on the oil cooler, but the oil thermostat is set. I had to choose either a 185F, 205F, or a 215F oil thermostat so I thinking the 205F is the right choice.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Double check me on my oil cooling setup

I’m installing a similar setup in a street car that I’m building to
      Be road racing / autox capable.
      I picked the 185.
      Probably 185 or 205 would be good. 215 is too high IMO

My Porsche V8 runs around mid 190s in sport mode which from what I understand forces the oil cooler fans on around the 200deg oil temp mark. FWIW.

I am not running fans on my oil cooler - but it’s mounted in front of the radiator so will get plenty of airflow during track conditions. I have big dual fans on the radiator and those I turn on around 180 water temp manual. Of course I wouldn’t run the fans at all on a road course. No reason to. They won’t do much compared to the airflow.
      I just have a manual switch. Don’t run them during normal driving either - only at a stop light or stop and go type driving.

I am using the same flow except with an external spin on filter.
      Engine - filter - thermostat - cooler - return line thermostat to motor
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I just completed my oil cooler setup a couple of weeks ago and I went with the Canton 215 thermostat. Water doesn't boil until 212 so 215 seemed like the logical choice. That said I don't plan on doing any long road races just an occasional autox so I think it makes more sense to let the oil get hot enough to vaporize the moisture in the oil.

Thanks for the feedback. Upon more consideration, I've decided to do the 215F oil thermostat instead of the 205F just to ensure my oil is always as hot as it needs to be. So I'll set my oil cooler fans to on @225F and off @220F.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Your setup sounds reasonable. Assuming your have an oil temperature gauge then I would recommend experimenting with having the fans on while on track. Unless you have the oil cooler where it doesn't naturally receive airflow I'd be surprised if the fans did much.

I have an oil cooler rated for up to 550hp and an improved racing oil thermostat. It's a "180*" thermostat but when you read the specs it starts to open at 180 but doesn't achieve full flow until 200*. They later released a 212* one which I would of bought if it was available at the time.

However, more than 50% of my driving is to or from a track so I have no problems getting the oil hot. Despite a large oil cooler its still easy to get temps over 240* during an autocross session or 250* on the road course.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Awesome. Yeah, the Improved Racing is the same thermostat I'm going to buy.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

So I have their 185 but second guessing myself and just ordered the 205. I’ll keep one and return one.
      From what I saw they have a 185, 205 and 215.
      Where did you see specs ? My unit came with no instructions or anything in the box
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Name:  IMG_5930.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  118.2 KB
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Installed but haven’t run it yet. I had the motor out for a few items and trans swap and decided to start it without the cooler just for simplicity sake and add it afterward. Also get the car back on the road sooner. Scope creep hit hard on this refresh !
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Also as a side note. I filled up the cooler today on a fresh install because I didn’t want the pan level to drop as much the first time the stat opens. It took half a quart. I figure the lines and stat will store another half so Aprox one quart for the cooling system. Pan and filter holds 7 so expect it will be total capacity around 8.

Which is good.

But what about an oil change ?
      I can’t drain the cooler without completely removing it.
      So I guess I will end up changing changing 85-90 Pct of the oil at any one time. Plus the filter.

I guess that’s ok. But I don’t love that idea. Probably similar on any factory oil cooler setup.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      So I have their 185 but second guessing myself and just ordered the 205. I’ll keep one and return one.
      From what I saw they have a 185, 205 and 215.
      Where did you see specs ? My unit came with no instructions or anything in the box
      I'm not sure which model you have. I have an LS3 so I used the corvette style thermostat and adapter taht bolts to the oil filter housing. The manual is here: http://www.improvedracing.com/manuals/EGM-122.pdf Though I was unable to find the info I previously read about it starting to open at 180* and fully open at 200*. In normal street driving my oil temp is pretty consistent at 195* with the 180* t-stat.

If you have a different model I'd just email Improved Racing for info. I contacted them recently and had a reply within an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      Also as a side note. I filled up the cooler today on a fresh install because I didn’t want the pan level to drop as much the first time the stat opens. It took half a quart. I figure the lines and stat will store another half so Aprox one quart for the cooling system. Pan and filter holds 7 so expect it will be total capacity around 8.

Which is good.

But what about an oil change ?
      I can’t drain the cooler without completely removing it.
      So I guess I will end up changing changing 85-90 Pct of the oil at any one time. Plus the filter.

I guess that’s ok. But I don’t love that idea. Probably similar on any factory oil cooler setup.
      My oil cooler is mounted sideways (in and out ports pointing to the side) and is above the height of the oil filter. On the LS style adapter the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter keeps the cooler full when the engine is off. However, when you unscrew the oil filter to change the oil the cooler fully drains. I'd have to double check on the car but I believe the oil supply line is on the bottom and the return is on the top to avoid air bubbles getting trapped.

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

My in / out ports are both pointing up which I did for best hose routing. Fluidyne Cooler which can be mounted any direction.

I’ll try to mount the oil filter as low as possible - that may help it drain.

I’ll check the specs but I’m leaning towards running the 205 stat. Mine is a remove high flow - cost is $170.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I could potentially mount my cooler sideways if that’s better for draining.

Name:  IMG_5929.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  140.6 KB
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

In the grand scheme of things the orientation probably isn't a big deal to have the ports on top. But that does mean those the dirty oil in it will stay there during oil changes. FWIW the factor C6 Z06 oil cooler had the ports on the side. I had the ability to mount my cooler up or sideways. Chose sideways so the oil would come out when changed and because I knew on my setup the ADV in the oil filter would keep the oil cooler full. The lines and cooler are almost a full quart so it's nice getting that old oil out.

I wouldn’t run my oil that cool. It need heat to burn off moisture, recommend improved racing 215 t stat.

I personally ended up buying the 205F.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Improved racing now has the 200 version. That’s exactly what I’m running and was recommended by them with my supercharged ls3. Best way to mount the cooler is oil in the bottom and out the top with the cooler mounted vertical. Eliminates air pockets and back draining causing dry starts. I’m also using all -10 am lines. Works like a charm

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...nes-p-209.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com